18 Years With DEVONthink!

Very inpressive @Greg_Jones. I’m coming over from Evernote, where I’ve been for a mere 12 years. The boards here are people talking about how to do things with DT. Those on the Evernote boards are usually complaining about some feature, bug, or lack of progress. I think I’ll have fun here, once I figure out how to migrate EN to DT!

3 Likes

Congrats and welcome! I’ve been on some very interesting Internet forums over the years, but I’ve never seen anything that compares to what you see on this forum. There are absolute experts here, complete newcomers, and everything in between, yet it remains the most helpful and welcoming resource I’ve ever seen for a tech product.

6 Likes

I second the welcome @BillPetro

We hope you pull up a chair and make yourself at home. We like to keep things relaxed in here, though we all can express passionate opinions too. As long as no one’s trolling or making ad hominem attacks on anyone, ideas, opinions, and constructive criticisms are all okay.
:slight_smile:

Hi Bill. I migrated a lot of my Evernote notes to DevonThink and it worked well. The export feature was flawless. The only bump in the road for me was that Evernote notes that contained attachments (like PDFs of photos) turned into folders in DT. So I had a bit of manual re-configuring to do once those notes went into DT to turn them from folders back into notes, but other than that, I’m pleased.

As to the question of should Evernote folders become separate databases in DT, I put them all into one database, as that’s the most convenient for me. If, at some later date, I find it would be more efficient to break them up into two or more databases, I can easily do that then. So my advice would be to make it easy on yourself at the start - put them in one, explore how the app works, and how you find yourself using it, and then adapt the database structure to suit you.

Enjoy!

@R_Barre I’m using the File > Import > Notes from Evernote… feature, which allows picking one Notebook at a time. Is there a better way?

While I’ve got you on the line, the browser extension “Clip to DEVONthink”… where does that put a web clipping?

The Import feature - picking one notebook at a time - works great.

Each time you use the browser extension, it will give you the option of choosing what format (PDF, web archive, plain text, etc.) to send the page in, and where to send it.

It’s VERY useful.

Got it! Looks like there’s both a browser extension (Chrome/Firefox) as well as a bookmarklet from DEVONthink’s website.

I wish all the clipping settings were on the same pop-up like Evernote, but I’ll get used to it.

Sorry if that wasn’t clear. That’s only the DT Safari browser extension. Inside it, I clicked on Format, and up popped the choices shown. Inside that same one window you can change the name, add comments, add tags, change the format, pick the location where to send it, etc.