2 Databases at once...

hi guys, first post…So I know that there have been previous discussions about how to have multiple databases open at once, and I may have a solution. However, I want to make sure that what I’m doing isn’t going to mess things up in the future…

So, in a nutshell, I’ve made a copy of the application Devonthink Pro, and then opened DevonthinkPro and DevonthinkProCopy. With both applications open, you can actually have two separate databases open, and it is possible to move things from one database to the other. It is important to note that you cannot have the same database open in each program, but you can have different ones open.

I had originally stumbled across this because I had upgraded to Pro from Personal, and was simply using both of these programs to do the same thing. However, using the copy of Pro has worked just as well.

Someone please tell me if I’m doing something I shouldn’t be…

Sorry, but we don’t recommend running two versions - or copies - of a DEVONthink application, or even having them installed in the Applications folder.

That affects OS X Services – data can be sent to only one of the applications (if two different versions are installed).

If two different copies of the same version are open, it’s a crap shoot as to which database (if any) would receive data via Services, scripts or data transmitted by another application.

We advise waiting for version 2.0, which will allow safe and predictable running of concurrently open databases. That version will also have a smaller memory footprint for each open database by comparison to version 1.x.

That’s what I figured…certainly seemed a little too easy, eh? Thanks for the alert!

I hate to ask, but I’m hoping that Bill’s new cooler climate might allow for some unprecedented under-the-curtain peeking… Any word on when 2.0 will be coming?

Hey: you brought it up, so don’t blame me for asking :wink:

Today was a bit warmer, with a high of 73 F. We had a few showers this morning. :slight_smile:

Some years ago I was trying to get in touch with a former graduate student who worked for an agency usually referred to by a 3-letter acronym. A friend in Washington called an overseas contact. That person responded that he would check and call back. But if he started talking about the weather, the message was to forget it. He called back 10 minutes later and started talking about how foggy the morning had been.

Without a doubt, that is the best response I have ever, ever read to that question.

The upper midwest must be agreeing with you, Bill.