2 users on single computer - shared DB - is this possible?

I am starting to use my partner’s Mac, thus we have 2 profiles on the single computer.
The NAS is running webDAV.

I am wondering if it is possible to put the local database into a ‘shared folder’ where either profile can access/ write too.
This way we do not need to have separate databases and consume disk space. The DB’s are quite large. ie. taking almost ~300GB.

Is this possible where 2x users have R/W access to shared directory?
If so, are there any concerns or potential issues?
And could/ how can user profiles also share the same sync status?

Alternatively, is there a better way? Perhaps indexing on 1 profile to read off the database where the other is the full back from local?

thank you.

I am wondering if it is possible to put the local database into a ‘shared folder’ where either profile can access/ write too.

Not unless the database was always closed before the other user opened it. And if you’re referring to using a shared folder on the NAS, we can’t say the database will perform well on the NAS. I personally would not suggest it.

Is this possible where 2x users have R/W access to shared directory?

This is dependent on the device running the directory.

Why is your database 300GB? Does it need to be? Is this all imported data?

to clarify

1. NAS is running webDAV and all computers sync to the NAS.
    -

2. 2x users on a single computer (ie. 2x profiles - thus only 1 user on the computer at any time).
    - i think you may raise another point where users MUST be logged out and not enable fast switching. ie. fully log out of DevonThink DB.

3. i have multiple databases broken into 50GB chunks. Its documentation both person and work storage rather than network files.

Are all the event logs/ sync logs stored on each users profile/ in their directory somewhere or can this be moved to a ‘common’/ shared location so irrespective of which user is logged into the computer at the time, it will still pick up where it left from… < this is what i am hoping DTP can do.

i am weary to test this myself as been having sync problems and takes a long time to resync/ clean database each time…

all computers

More than one computer or are you referring to mobile devices?

Are all the event logs/ sync logs stored on each users profile/ in their directory somewhere or can this be moved to a ‘common’/ shared location so irrespective of which user is logged into the computer at the time, it will still pick up where it left from… < this is what i am hoping DTP can do.

They are stored per User. Could they theoretically be shared? Theoretically, but I personally would not advocate this unless it was just for experimental or academic reasons.

Fast user switching should be fine, but I would close the common databases before switching (though I am not necessarily advocating this method).

What databases need to be shared between accounts - one, two, … all six?

this is simply 2 family members sharing the same iMac (physical) - thus looking for a solution where I can save space on the HDD as we know Macs are notoriously expensive for disk space.

• this is not a question about putting a shared DB into a NAS or location accessible my multiple users simultaneously. That’s what the webDAV server/ cloud sync is for.

I have my own laptop/ mobile - those devices are more single user profiles (ie. for work) etc so no worries there.

It looks like I may as well give this a try when I can find the time to perform multiple re-runs of syncing. thx.
I didn’t imagine this is unique situation where something like a finance database is shared on the same computer by husband and wife scenario?

I didn’t imagine this is unique situation where something like a finance database is shared on the same computer by husband and wife scenario?

Actually, multi-user machines as less common than independent machines.

If you are already syncing to the WebDAV server, you could just import the database on the second user account and it should stay in sync with the first account. I do this myself.