512x512 Icon

Thanks for the thought provoking post Patrick. It did indeed provide a different perspective on the problems DevonThink faces from its competitors. I am unfortunately not seeing a easy solution. While I had hoped a simple facelift and some nips and tucks as Jrpars put it might be all the program needs to complete it’s transformation to a modern Mac application, I’m starting to realize this is probably not the case.

I also realized something while reading your message. You wrote the introduction to the DevonThink manual didn’t you? :wink: Up until reading this message I hadn’t added 1 + 1 and arrived at 2 yet, I wasn’t sure where it came from because the style is neither Erich or Bill DeVille, that’s you. Why no Name? :wink: Nice summary :slight_smile:

Apple II forever indeed :wink:

When’s your novel coming and are you using Devonthink alone or combining it with Scrivener? :wink:

http://www.devon-technologies.com/scripts/userforum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9799

I use DEVONthink, TextEdit, caffeine, nicotine, modafinil, 2C-T-7, and LSD-25.

I tried Scrivener a year or two ago, my response was , quite possibly it’s gotten better, and has become the Greatest Thing Ever, I just … don’t care right now… unless it’s added a, “write book for me!” feature; which would be pretty awesome, because then I could just go hang out at parties a lot instead.

I should, prolly, reply on the Scrivener thread, I’m just … not gonna rain on the lovefest.

What I start with, is completely nonlinear, and all over the place. [Search Related Phrase] and [See Related Text] (my own, not refs), trumps for me, by a very wide margin.

To bring this back on topic: Mmmmmm, big icons are pretty!

Patrick

I have the first 4, where can I download the last 3? :smiley:

They sure are :slight_smile:

BTW: The final release will include 512x512 icons.

There was much rejoicing! :smiley:

Without having read the whole thread, I’d like to add, that I prefer the Icon of DevonThink Pro much over the Pro-Office icon. I use DTPO but the living animal sticking out of the beautiful shell doesn’t look very nice nor very “pro”.
So if you’re about to re-draw the icons, maybe you could create a new icon for the pro office version without that “worm”. While it may look interesting in the big version, it looks like a bug infiltrating my DevonThink database (shell).

But…but…but…I like the tentacles!

Without having read the whole thread, I would like to say, “YES!”

Nice!

This is one of my favorite messages of all time, so much so that I keep it in a group that contains no more then 20 pieces of wisdom about computers, applications and operating systems in general when I need to remind myself of why something is working the way that it is and when I need to laugh.

The release of iTunes 10 today, I would think adds even more to everything and the kitchen sink syndrome. What really reminded me of this message was the brand new vertical buttons row. What is whoever works on iTunes smoking and where do I get some?

Vertical buttons :open_mouth:

This is a pretty interesting discussion.

I don’t find DT ugly at all … just plain. Its functionality is head and shoulders above everyone else, but I’m willing to bet there is a good number of potential customers out there who download the trial, look it over, and before they discover all it can do, decide it’s too serious for them. And so they go to Yojimbo, or Together, or Notebook, or MacJournal, all of whom have more pleasing interfaces. Again, I’m speaking only cosmetically. I’ve tried all of those other apps (and a lot more) and have not found any that can shine DTPO’s shoes.

One of the great things about the Mac ecosystem is that it’s - for want of a better word - a “pleasing” environment in which to work. Aesthetics are not just eye-candy. They’re a part of the user experience, and one of the reasons we love Macs is because of the combination of form and function. So I’d love to see some thought given to improving DTPO’s surface charms without interfering with the sturdiness and complexity that we use, need, and admire.

Hear, hear!