A "Back Button" to save me from my own clumsiness...

Hello all,

I did a quick search, and came across a few posts regarding the “back button”, but my query is a bit different - and I really just wanted to check that I’m not missing something blindingly [face-palm-required] obvious…

Tagging Yes/No arguments aside - I’m working through all my untagged documents. It occasionally happens that a research-theme/topic/keyword, starts presenting itself regularly, that I would want to explore later - and so I decide to create a ‘new’ tag.

My OCD/good common sense/tag-sensitivities then kicks in, and I 2xclick the Group I’m working on, which brings up a 2nd/new DTP window - of that group. I then punch the research-theme/keyword into search, and start working my way through the selection, so as to “re-tag” older/already tagged articles, with the ‘new’ tag…

I then leave this 2nd window (for the tagging) open in the background, and work my way through it, as time permits. I will often jump between the two, and continue what I was doing in the original window - which might be tagging/reading/searching etc…

My first/original DTP window remains my “active-use” window, where I ‘do’ all variety of things in DTP - whereas the second/new DTP window, is obviously only to be used to continue with one specific task, i.e. re-tagging articles…

My clumsiness:

I have now done the following, several times, which has irked me enough to pop up this topic.

I jump out of DTP - to answer mails/do whatever quickly - I then jump back in… Not paying attention, I sometimes jump in to that 2nd window, the one where I was systematically working my way through a search-list of articles, “re-tagging” already tagged articles, with the new tag.

BUT - since I’m not paying attention, I think I’m in the original DTP window, where I was doing whatever - tagging/reading/searching/annotating… I then click ‘into’ a different group - and as is expected - I “leave” the searched-for list of articles… Which means, I lose my “place” in the queue…

In other words - let’s assume I searched for “ballot”, since I’m wanting to create a new Tag called “Ballot UK” - the search returns hundreds of files… I was working my way down from the top of the list, in 3-pane view - scanning through the individual articles, and deciding if I want to tag them accordingly…

My mis-click, has me now seeing a list of the files in the Group I clicked into. The “Back” button does indeed take me to the last article I was looking at - which is obviously better than nothing… What I then do, is insert “Ballot” into the search, thereby calling up the same search-list, and then manually scroll down, to find that self-same article, to continue where I was… But this obviously takes quite a bit of time - since hundreds of files are at play…

Questions:

1.) Is there some “system-related” Back Button I am unaware of - i.e. it’s not going to take me back to the previous file/article - but will rather undo my last CLICK - e.g. clicking into the incorrect Group, thereby leaving the search-list, and my position therein?

[File >> Undo/Redo does not help - it offers “undo/redo Tag” as an option - since that was the last ACTION I did, prior to the mis-click]

1. ) If no such ‘system-back-button’ exists - is this something that others would find useful as well - or should I just stop being clumsy!? :smiley:

3.) Finally - is my ‘workflow’ loony? Could I be doing the above differently, to avoid the situation as explained?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Me too. They do exist but are limited. I frequently have the same problem.

Some solace in there, knowing that a few(?) others share my occasional absent-mindedness! [Thumbs-up]

You are not alone, but “occasional” is rapidly becoming “often” in my case :confused: So any help that we can get the better :slight_smile: