A clean install on a new MacBook Pro... and DTPO, indexed

My first Mac was in 2004 and since then I have used Time Machine backups to restore all data to each new Mac I bought along the way. This time is different - I’m going to perform a clean install!

So far so good, but now I’m tackling DTPO. I have 5 databases, all of them indexed. I’ve done a good search on the web for pointers on moving the meta and data files to the new mac, but surprisingly, I haven’t found any such discussions.

I’ve thought of moving all the data in each database internally so I could move each database file to the new Mac - one file for each database. Then I could export to external folders. Or maybe it’s finally time to rethink my desire for external files.

Or am I overlooking a very simple way of migrating meta data and data that make up an indexed database to a new Mac?

Looking at it logically, you should be able to migrate the locations containing the indexed data, then migrate the databases. When you open the databases, they should be intact. I would say the user account name should be the same when you do a reinstall.

However, if you could open a Support ticket, I’d like to discuss an option with you.

Hopefully not hijacking the thread, but I am in a similar situation.

New MBP, doing a clean install, and installing DTPO on the new Mac. BUT, I have almost everything within DTPO.

Is it worth discussing the differences between these two situations on the forum?

I am assuming I just move the Inbox, and then move the databases, to the new Mac, and then sync through DTTG should work.

If this requires a separate discussion, I apologize, and will post separately.

@sawxray: No worries. You’ve got the right idea. It’s a simpler matter with imported data.

Thank you very much

I have a follow-up question.

I moved my databases to my new computer a few days ago. I have used DTPO on the old computer for those days.

Now, when DTPO opens on the new computer, I get a message similar to:

database ‘inbox.dtbase2’ seems to be already in use! this database might be in use on another computer.

With a warning about possible corruption.

I could not find much info in this forum, or a general Google search.

Should I just hit ‘Continue,’ and then sync, or will that corrupt the newer files on my old computer?

Thanks!

Did you migrate your User account to the new machine?

No, did a clean install. New user name, starting over with all clean installs of apps, etc.

I’d hit Continue and doo a Tools > Verify & Repair on it.

Greetings

I, too am moving DEVONthink Pro (and DEVONagent Pro) into new digs

User sawxray mentioned moving the Inbox along with the database .dtBase2 files

Is this the Inbox @ ~/Library/Application Support/DTP2/
Does this include the inbox.dtBase2 AND the Inbox folder
How about other stuff in this folder? (e.g., registration.plist, Plugins, Scripts, Style Sheets, etc)

And how’s about:
~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Sorter ??
~/Library/Scripts/Applications/DEVONagent ??

AND should these items be added before or after installing the apps AND before or after initially launching & activating the install?

Thanks in advance for your assistance

The proper directory name is DEVONthink Pro 2. If you have one named DTP2, it’s not it.

Yes. Just transfer the directory.

If you’re using DEVONagent, then yes.

Before is preferable.

Thanks so much for the fast response

re: Moving the Inbox @ /Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2 (nee: DTP2 - just being lazy :blush: )

Just to be clear, you advised - “Yes. Just transfer the directory”
…the directory being (1) ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2 or (2) the Inbox directory?

~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2

And while shorthand is understood, it is best to be clear on the details about things like this. Some people could easily read that and send in support tickets wondering why they “don’t have a DTP2 folder like that person on the Forums?!?” (And that stuff does indeed happen.) :open_mouth: :smiley:

it is best to be clear on the details
Roger that - I shud otter a’ known better

Thanks again

No problem.