A Newbie here, having trouble saving a Group Template

But in the sidebar or in the item list (e.g. list view, icon view etc.)?

Yes, Christian, at least I believe that’s right. I’ll check to be sure as soon as I get to my Mac this morning.

1 Like

Very interesting turnaround, Christian. When I went to be sure everything was as you suggested as long as I’m here, and voila nothing was grayed out now so I was able to save the template! I must have tried a dozen times yesterday so I really don’t know what’s changed in DevnThink since then to just correct things overnight. Before I close with a big Thank You, I have two more related questions which you may be able to answer. One can I go back and edit this template and then save it again or do I need to create a whole new template? And two, is this the same way I save all templates? I’m working on a document template now too.

It’s not possible to (easily) edit templates, only to ex- and import them. And yes, all templates are created the same way.

Thanks again, Christian, for your good help. Hopefully, it will be smoother sailing from here on. I’ve done a lot of reading: the 2 or 3 manuals I’ve found, community posts, and about anything I can find, and, quite frankly, I’m a bit overwhelmed right now. DevonThink is such a massive and powerful program and continues to be for me at least a very complex one. One thing I’ve observed thus far is that the three manuals or guides (DevonThink Documentation, Take Control of DevonThink 3, and DevonThink 3 Help) all seem to approach the same topic differently. An example would be when I tried to learn about Templates and, more specifically, creating them, I found that the way to save a template was only mentioned in one of them. Now, it’s entirely possible that I didn’t read far enough, or perhaps the answer was in a different section of the manual, etc. I remain very aware that I’ve lots to learn though and it isn’t going to happen overnight. Another big factor is undoubtedly my 88 years; learning capacity is seriously diminished I’m afraid!

The integrated help and the PDF/EPUB documentation are basically identical, only the format/layout are different. Just use whichever you prefer. But Take Control of DEVONthink 3 is indeed different:

1 Like

And once again, Christian, thanks much for all your able assistance!

1 Like

The same problem is back! The Person Group Template I was finally able to save this morning was just partially completed, really set up for testing, So I deleted that file and recreated the full, final version, and tried to save it just now. Unfortunately, when I go to File/Export/Export as template, it’s grayed out again so unable to save it. I can’t think of anything I’ve done while working in DevonThink today that would cause such a blackout. Any thoughts?

And what do you have selected?

I just saw your post this morning, Jim, and I think there may be a bigger problem, one that I may need to talk through with someone. First, as for your question, what I have selected, it’s a Person Group Template I created holding 18 sub-groups. And that’s what I select so that it’s highlighted in light gray or darker blue ((I’ve tried to save it both ways. But when I go to File/Export/as Template that option is grayed out (as are all but two of the options)so I’m unable to. That’s the way it was the day before yesterday but when I tried it early yesterday the option was not grayed out so I was able to save the file as a template. But later yesterday when I tried to save another Group Template the option was grayed out. Same as when I first tried it a few minutes ago. BUT, the bigger problem I appear to have is to have two separate copies of DevonThink programs on my MacI I set it up with five databases with one I call “Morse-Maitz Families” the major one (that I brought over from EverNote and have by far the most time invested in. At the moment, that database is no longer listed–which frightens me a bit. But I’m getting ahead of myself. What led me to believe I have this more major problem is that when I click on the DT Icon, located in the center of my Dock, I get a popup that says “Move DT to the Applications Folder…Install”. It’s already in my Applications Folder. When I enter my Admin Password as requested I get the spinning ‘whirling dervish’ as I call it for about 30 seconds and then the pop-up fades away. The PopUp also says Cancel orSkip and I’ve tried both of those too. In the meantime, a second DT Icon has popped up in my Dock over at the far right. So I seem to have two open. At first one of them contained all five of mydatabases and the other was missing the “Morse-Maitz Families”. Now I don’t get the latter in either of them. HELP!

Why don’t you simply close all instances of DT and then remove the one from your desktop?
After that, use Finder search to locate the database you’re missing and open DT with it by double-clicking on the database.

Databases aren’t part of the application, so they only show up when they’re open.

If you have more than one copy running, you’d see multiple DEVONthink icons in the dock.
Control-click the dock icon and choose Options > Show In Finder. It’s possible you’re running a copy from the disk image, which is not a good idea. You should quit DEVONthink and eject the disk.

Also, you must have the group selected in the item list, not the Navigate sidebar, in order to export it as a template.

Thanks much, Jim. I think you’ve straightened me out on all counts. I’ve unexpectedly been out practically all day and finally got back a bit ago. Yes, I had two DT Icons in my dock. Or at least when only one showed and I clicked on it to open, the other one popped up. It took me a while to determine which one was the culprit but now all appears to be good following your instructions. Once I put my Person Group file in the item list I was able to save it immediately. That must have been how I did it yesterday without realizing quite how I’d done it. Given the mess you just got me out of, I realize I’d better focus next on getting my DT Program files in order, in the right location on my disc, and set up proper backups, etc. I first loaded DT3 onto my iMac and then to my MacBook using what I thought at the time was the best method, iCloud Legacy. But I’ve since read that clearly the better choice is CloudKit, right? Once I feel comfortable that DT3 Desktop is running the way it should, I intend to install DT ToGo on myiPad so assume I’ll then be able to easily sync that with CloudKit too. Is Joe Kissell’s book the best guide to learn all of this or do you have a better recommendation? Hopefully, once I get a bit more learning under my belt Iwon’t have to bother you and the good folks at Community nearly as much as I have during these first couple of weeks!

Thanks! I do appreciate your pitching in to help me out of my mess.

I first loaded DT3 onto my iMac and then to my MacBook using what I thought at the time was the best method, iCloud Legacy. But I’ve since read that clearly the better choice is CloudKit, right?

If you’re referring to putting your DEVONthink databases in iCloud, you shoulld not do that.
If you’re referring to syncing, don’t use a remote sync option unless you actually need one. And if you do, Legacy is a better option than CloudKit right now, assuming you’re using an iCloud option in DEVONthink.

Regarding syncing, the first question you need to ask yourself is, “Do I need a remote sync option?”. Consider these questions…

• Do you have a colleague, assistant, significant other, etc. that needs frequent updates to synced data?
  • Are you using a shallow sync, i.e., Download Files: On demand in DEVONthink To Go?

If the answer is no to either question, a local sync on your network is suggested.

Is Joe Kissell’s book the best guide to learn all of this or do you have a better recommendation?

There is a forum post on syncing: Sync Types Explained. This is a good place to start.
There is also one specifically about Bonjour: Bonjour Simplified

Sync is covered in the Help for each application:

• For DEVONthink, sync is covered in the Help > Documentation > In & Out > Sync, Preferences > Sync, and Troubleshooting > Sync Issues.
  • For DEVONthink To Go, sync is covered in the ? > Help > Sync your databases section.

Manuals can be downloaded here: Manuals

There are also tutorials available on the Mac in DEVONthink’s ​Help > Tutorials​.

1 Like

Thanks once again, Jim, for all your good and helpful info. In between other projects I’ve had to work on today, I’ve been trying to go through the various reads you suggested. You clearly seem to be saying that if I don’t need a remote sync option (and I answer no to all your questions} I should stick to a local Sync, such as Bonjour, alone. I installed DT3 first on my iMac, the device I use mostly, and when I installed it on my MacBook I used iCloud Legacy to acces my five databases there. I would just as soon keep the iCloud sync because I occasionally use either my MacBook or my iPad (and certainly want DT3 or DT ToGo with me) locally and whenever I go out of town. So should I make Bonjour my primary since and somehow keep the iCloud Legacy as well. Second question, re backup. I currently use Time Machine with a good external drive but would feel even better with some form of redundancy or additional backup. Would Arq be a good option?

You clearly seem to be saying that if I don’t need a remote sync option (and I answer no to all your questions} I should stick to a local Sync, such as Bonjour, alone.

Yes, that is a good idea.

I would just as soon keep the iCloud sync because I occasionally use either my MacBook or my iPad (and certainly want DT3 or DT ToGo with me) locally and whenever I go out of town.

Yes, that’s indeed possible and the option is there… But I would still ask the reason behind using it.

I currently use Time Machine with a good external drive but would feel even better with some form of redundancy or additional backup. Would Arq be a good option?

Redundancy is always good.
Time Machine is good as a bare minimum, i.e., better than no backups. Carbon Copy Cloner is also good (though I admit I find the options and UI a bit confusing).

Our company president has long used Arq for online backups. Other users in here too speak well of it.

I really can’t say enough how much I appreciate your quick and helpful responses, Jim! Don’t think I’ve ever experienced anything like it before on other apps. So you’ve convinced me, give up the iCloud sync and just go with Bonjour. Are there any particular problems I’ll encounter with undoing the iCloud sync on my two Macs now and replacing it with just Bonjour?

You’re very welcome :slight_smile:

Also, the remote sync options are there for a reason. However, we prefer to advocate for options that provide the best user experience for the situation. And as my questions indicate, there are indeed valid times when remote syncs are needed. You can, of course, also use them out of whim, desire, or curiosity :smiley: And you may have a good experience. However, you also may not :open_mouth: :wink:

And no, there should be no appreciable effect when switching off iCloud in this situation since the Mac has the full database available for syncing.

All sounds good. Much appreciated.