A Template for receipts

Is there a template to organise receipts? I have not been able to find one

what exactly do you expect from the template?

Hopefully a list of fields. But I have found a way of creating them

can you share your workflow here, please.

I use Devonthink to store/organize my receipts
These can be emailed receipts, paper receipts, notes, …
I use my iPad camera to scan paper receipts

My organization is with tags Type-Receipt, Budget-Category, Vendor
Date, Description, Amount are in the record filename
Not a template, but i use an Applescript to assist with assigning filename and tags

fwiw An Applescript transfers the receipt data to my budget spreadsheet

2 Likes

Thanks so much for that. I am still in the early stages of learning what is a complex program

Can you clarify what is complex?

1 consisting of many different and connected parts: a complex network of water channels.
• not easy to analyse or understand; complicated or intricate: a complex personality | the situation is more complex than it appears.

Cutting through the general questions and vague answers….
There is no template for receipts. Everyone has different needs based on why they’re collecting and tracking receipts. (Tax prep, expense reports etc)
Every region in the world does those things differently.

You’ve found custom metadata I think, that’s a start (custom metadata doesn’t exist on iOS so you’ll have to find a workaround if that’s what you’re looking for)

Now organize the results based on tags or keywords or groups. Some people do this manually by putting things into groups(a.k.a. folders) based on tax reporting categories or you can do it by name or metadata and some smart groups.

Some people on here store all the important data in the name of the file, some use metadata or comments/annotations. There’s lots of discussion on this forum about the various strategies.

Yes DevonThink is complex but you start small and simple, get it going how you like it (or how your accountant likes it) then, when you find yourself doing the same thing over and over again, look in the manual for “Classify” and also dig into automation.
As you get into automation, remember to test new processes on safe subsets of your data so you don’t screw everything up.

@chrillek has a script somewhere on this forum for extracting data from utility bills that automates some repetitive processes. @DTLow, as noted above, uses scripts to tidy things up into a spreadsheet.

There’s a million ways it can go but it starts with you knowing how you need your receipts organized when all is said and done and then figuring out how to get from a pile of papers to a neat and tidy database.

2 Likes

As has been mentioned many times here and elsewhere: If you can use the Finder, you can use DEVONthink.

If you are an engineering student writing a thesis on this network of tunnels, it indeed requires extensive inspection.

If you are a farmer who wants to use the water for irrigation, you don’t need a complete map of the network of tunnels. Just get the water you need!

2 Likes

Thank you. That is very helpful. I am coming to grips with it!