A very nice touch on sorting groups in list view

Just found out that if “inbox”, “Tags”, and “Annotations” groups are enabled in the list view, they will always stay at the top of the list in the above-mentioned sequence regardless of the sort criteria.

Thanks to DT for this very convenient nice touch.

1 Like

Thanks :slight_smile: It’s actually an older feature dating back to version 2.

Guess I have already forgotten all about DT2…

Can you clarify - how do you “enable” those 3 groups?

(1) for showing “Inbox” in list view, use preference-general. Uncheck this box

(2) for showing tags in list view, use hidden preference in p.231 of help manual

(3) Annotations is always in the list view.

1 Like

Actually only after creating the first annotation in a database.

You mean they are listed in the annotation inspector? Or somewhere else also?

There is an Annotations group in the root of a database where files have created Annotation files.

“Annotations” group at the root is automatically created AFTER the first time you use this (the Annotations and Reminders Bar Ctrl-3) to create an annotation file for an item.

Do you mean the SmartGroup called “Documents with Annotations”?

No. An Annotations group.

OK - maybe I am about to learn something really important about DT3 that has escaped me for a long time.

Maybe this is a dumb question - but where do I find this Annotations and Reminders Bar that @ngan talks of?

It‘s in the Annotations & Reminders inspector.

Ahh… I see now

An “Annotation” under the “Reminders” inspector is different from an Annotation in the “Annotations” inspector?

I never realized that

The word “Annotation” is being used for two distinct (though similar) features.

One is an in-document Annotation, e.g., in a PDF.
The other is an Annotation file.

From: Help > Documentation > Inspectors > Annotations & Reminders

Note: There are some slight clarifications coming in the documentation, as you can create custom Annotation file templates in other formats than RTF.

Thanks

Is it possible to create an Annotation Template which references custom metadata fields?

No, not at this time.

One way or another it would be so nice to be able to use the new custom metadata for output purposes i.e. to create a report rather than simply for internal use by whoever set up the database.

Wait, you’re kidding me! I felt we had a bunch of conversations about how useful this feature would be, and it was there in the hidden prefs all along? :man_facepalming:

A nice addition in the final release…