A very nice touch on sorting groups in list view

Yes indeed! Thanks DT for adding these!

@BLUEFROG

I see if I Open an annotation file I have the option to insert placeholders for both standard and custom metadata.

How and when can I “execute” this annotation file in order to replace the placeholders with actual data?

They only stay on top for me if I have “Keep groups on top when sorting” selected in the Preferences. I would like the Inbox to stay on top with this option off, is that possible?

and it was there in the hidden prefs all along?

No, it wasn’t. This and the option to Show inboxes only in sidebar were quiet gold master additions Criss put in place.

1 Like

No.
Development would have to assess this.

You can’t (as I said previously).

Development would have to assess the feasibility of this.

What is the intended purpose of those placeholders?

From the built-in Help > Documentation > Appendix > Placeholders

I’ve also added some more clarifying language in the documentation, as placeholders can be used in Tools > Batch Process and Reminder alarms, as well.

1 Like

Is there an example somewhere of how to use a template in a Wiki document?

Is there documentation on how to create a Template beyond opening the package of an existing template and reverse engineering?

This seems to be a very capable feature of Devonthink but at the same time somewhat of a mystery in terms of how to implement it.

Help > Documentation > Automation > Smart Templates has discussion on template creation. The discussion of placeholders there can be logically extended to use with Wiki pages.

Yes I saw that - it basically says to reverse engineer the existing examples. No further documentation beyond that?

As for extending use into Wiki pages - I do see that one can configure template blocks in Preferences/Wikilinks to be shown at the top of a Wiki page. Is that the extent of Template support in Wiki pages, or is there some way to have template blocks elsewhere in a Wiki page which are acted upon when a Wiki page is loaded?

Related question - what is the difference between “importing” vs “installing” a template?

or is there some way to have template blocks elsewhere in a Wiki page which are acted upon when a Wiki page is loaded?

Not outside scripting.

what is the difference between “importing” vs “installing” a template?

Installing makes it available for use as a template.
Importing imports the file into the database, like any other file.

Thank you Criss — the new hidden prefs are much appreciated!

1 Like

Thanks for the clarifications

Are Custom Metadata fields available via scripting?

For a document, yes.

Search DEVONthink’s AppleScript dictionary for custom meta data for the property and two related commands.

1 Like

Ummm, what is the “help manual” referred to by ngan? There doesn’t seem to be any text like that in the screen shot, in Joe Kissell’s Take Control book.

See here.

It’s also available in app under the Help menu.

Stephen

Thanks. Duly downloaded.