A word of caution: How to lose Annotation Note text!

Hello all,

Made a silly error this evening, and thought I would share - might save someone else from doing the same.

Created a new annotated note, linked to a PDF inside DTPO.
Had the Note open in a separate window, on my secondary screen - whilst jumping around through my DTPO DBs, checking other files/research data.

The PDF I was making notes for/from, was open on my iPad.

Whereas I am usually in the habit of periodically saving [cmd+s] - with the jumping around, I hadn’t in a while. Did plenty of typing in the open Note - and then made my mistake.

When switching between different windows, I wanted to jump back to the Note, to add in a link or two/type some more.

Without concentrating, instead of entering the links/text into the already open Note file, I selected the Note in my DB view, and in the bottom editing window [3-pane view], I dropped in the links, and added the text there instead.

This presumably caused an overwrite of the Note, with the new additions pulling through to the open Note window as well, and the resultant ‘wiping’ of all the new text I had typed in the open Note, but which wasn’t committed since I hadn’t manually saved in a while…

So - just be aware.

Were I to wave a magic wand and have DTPO save me from my own idiocy, I’d love to see a frequent auto-save embedded into any open Notes - alternatively, something that would ‘lock’ the Note as visible in the 3-pane view, while it was open elsewhere, to prevent such overwriting.

Regardless, live and learn! :unamused:

Cassady -

Similar has happened a few times to me with notes in DTPO.

If you want to fix that problem, I suggest a macro in Keyboard Maestro.
I haven’t done it yet, but a repeating loop could save a note window automatically, say once per minute.

Requires a macro program such as Keyboard Maestro (KM).
I use KM here and can confirm it plays nicely with DTPO.

Another option is use Apple Script, but I don’t have enough experience to advise about Apple Script.

Some of the script-based annotation solutions posted here use dialogs to collect your annotations. The advantage of this is that it avoids the lack of coordination between multiple windows on the same document that @Cassady ran into.