ABBYY Finereader Pro v12

Thank you for the excellent script!

I just bought the full version of FineReader Pro, and have a quick question about usage with a ScanSnap.

Currently, I have ScanSnap set to use DTPO as its default application, with a folder I call ‘InScans’ under the ‘Save’ tab in ScanSnap settings.

Is it better to just import the files from ScanSnap into DTPO without OCR, and then manually set up the OCR using this script? Or can I use FineReader as the default application under ScanSnap settings, and then manually/via script import them to DTPO after OCR?

Thanks!

After doing a lot of searching, I am wondering if I can use Hazel and/or automator, so that ScanSnap documents get sent to FineReader, then saved in a Finder folder, after which Hazel imports to DTPO only after they are OCR’ed.

Alternately, can I use and modify a folder actions script to allow this?

Thank you.

Hello everyone,

I’ve been using DevonThink for about a year now and I’m pretty impressed by this great piece of software.
Even though I bought DTPO I’d like to use FineReader 12 due to the much better results from the newer OCR engine. The script from this topic worked quite well for me so far. Thank you very much! I’m not into scripting at all so this was a big help!
Unfortunately, it doesn’t work entirely the way it should. I’m not quite sure but maybe it has to do with the release of 2.9.12 as I think it worked the way it should before the update?

When using the script everything works fine except the new version of the file doesn’t get recognized from DTPO. After trying a few times I looked at the original file (Testfile.pdf) in the finder and there I also found the new version of the file (Testfile_2.pdf). So the original file seems to be not being replaced by the new one.
Is it just me or is there someone having the same problems with the script?
Thank you for any kind of help!

Daniel

Please update the OCR engine … the newer versions of FineReader are well worth the improved accuracy of recognition.

I ended up buying FIneReader separately in order to do my OCR (which has sadly made my workflow less efficient).

It looks like version 14 is the latest one?

Mac Version of Abbyy FineReader Pro is 12.1.11. Windows version is up to 14. The newer Mac version is multi-core capable so recognition of multiple documents is faster - and given most modern Macs have 4+ cores its worthwhile. Accuracy and language support is improved as well. Automator and AppleScript support remains decent. Would just be nicer to have the latest Abbyy engine embedded. Given both tools are best of breed … :smiley:

Based on a previous discussion, it’s not easy for the DTPO team to upgrade their version of Abby Finereader. I actually own the separate version, purchased before I got DTP. But having an integrated version would indeed make life easier.

By the way, I find Abbyy Finereader (freestanding) is quite awkward. Converting a document takes multiple steps. First, it generates a “coded” version of the text. Then separate commands are needed to convert that to a PDF. Then rename and move the PDF to what the original file was called. And each of these can take minutes for a 50 page document.
I’m going to get the trial version of DTPO, and see if it is less awkward.
The flip side is that if you take the time, Finereader is indeed very good at reading things.

the lastest script doesn’t work together with Finereader 12.x and DTPOP 2.10.2.
DTPOP crashes after the first recognition job.
:frowning:

@dargelm Try the script at Script to OCR PDFs with the latest FineReader ?

1 Like

@chreliot thank you for the hint.