Ability to import settings from DT2?

Hi folks, is there a document which describes the move from DT2 and DT3? Is there a way to point DT 3 to your DT2 databases and settings? I am thinking about all the sync settings and so on - or does DT3 need to be setup manually?

See https://www.devontechnologies.com/apps/devonthink/upgrade. You can also move the folder ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Cloudy to ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3. But don’t copy this folder to use it in both version 2 & 3 - this would create a mess.

Thanks for the reply, it sounds like it is not possible to continue to really use both versions in a production environment on the same databases?

Actually the usage of betas in production environments isn’t recommended.

If I was to make a copy of all databases to test in DT3 what needs to be copied? You mentioned /Cloudy above, also the database files themselves, anything else?

If you’re going to move (or already moved) the Cloudy folder then you don’t have to and shouldn’t copy the databases - a good backup strategy would be definitely better.

So, maybe I’m missing something here, but I haven’t found out whether I could import my sync settings from DT Pro Office to DT3. I suppose that the synchronization is not updating itself by simply locating the .dtbase2 file on my NAS. As I am not that great with technical stuff, I would LOVE to find out there is a way to import the settings for that.

Thanks!

See my first post, you can move the Cloudy folder from version 2 to version 3.

1 Like

Right, I have overlooked this! Thanks!

If I move the Cloudy folder from my DT2 to DT3 folder under ~/Library/Application Support/ [meaning there is no “Cloudy” folder in DT2 folder anymore] does that render DT2 un-usable with the databases from that point forward? If not, what are the limitations or pitfalls to be aware of running both DT2 and DT3?

Thanks - Matt

If you moved it, then you’d have to set up sync locations and resync in DEVONthink 2 again. If you are moving to DEVONthink 3 solely (and note the admonition below), moving it can be done. Otherwise, this is not a good idea.

DEVONthink 3 is in beta testing, meant for testing, finding and reporting bugs. It should not be used in mission-critical or production environments. Also, we advocate running it on a separate macOS user account with test data or copies of data.

Okay, just to confirm then —

If I’ve got DT3 set up under a separate macOS user account, and I want to use it syncing test data, then I should just set up syncing in DT3 the “normal” way via Preferences, and leave my DT2 syncing as it has been (no moving or copying of the Cloudy folder).

I absolutely suggest that as a safe course of action, especially if you have DT2 actively and happily syncing right now.