Access with AppleScript the history of a DEVONthink database

I do not find any term in DEVONthink’s AppleScript dictionary about the history of a database.

Someone can open the history window using the following AppleScript:

set process_name to displayed name of (info for (path to frontmost application))
tell application "DEVONthink Pro"

tell application "System Events"
		tell process process_name
			keystroke "h" using {command down, shift down}
		end tell
	end tell
end tell

Is it possible to get programmatically the most recent record using AppleScript?

Brute force?

You could get the Contents of a Database (or all open databases), then create a list of records comprising the Reference URL and Modification Date of each record in Contents. Then sort that list. And use the Reference URL to access the most recently modified record.

Ugly.

An AppleScript which implements Korm’s instructions is the following:

tell application "DEVONthink Pro"
	set allRecords to contents of current database
	set myData to {}
	repeat with i from 1 to count of allRecords
		set end of myData to {modificationDate:modification date of item i of allRecords, DEVONthinkUuid:uuid of item i of allRecords}
	end repeat

tell application "ASObjC Runner"
		set sortedRecords to rearrange records myData by keys {"modificationDate"} ascending orders {false}
		set uuidLastModifiedItem to DEVONthinkUuid of item 1 of sortedRecords
	end tell

set lastModifiedRecord to get record with uuid uuidLastModifiedItem
end tell

It requires the free “ASObjC Runner” app - http://www.macosxautomation.com/applescript/apps/runner.html to be installed in your Mac.

Nice approach, John.

You might consider eliminating items in the Tags group - a tag in that group could be the most recently modified record, but what the user probably wants to find is the document that was tagged, not the tag.

I could see using your technique with the “log values” command in ASObjC to keep a work record (with time stamps and duration between modification date-time) to support time billing for advisors who are working out of a DEVONthink database. (You can see where my mind’s at, today. :confused: )

Thank you for posting this.