Add note to highlight is slow

I just wanted to flag an issue that I’d like to see improved. When I add a note to a pdf highlight, DT3 occasionally bogs down with the spinning wheel cursor for 10-15 seconds or so. Sometimes it happens right away as I click “add note” from the right-click menu, and other times it happens as I’m typing the note. It’d be nice if DT3 wouldn’t freeze up when I’m adding these notes, if possible.

1 Like

Are you using a Bonjour sync?

No, this database isn’t set up to sync with any other devices.

• What operating system and version of DEVONthink are you running?

• Does it persist after quitting and relaunching DEVONthink?

• How about after rebooting the machine?

I’m running Catalina 10.15.3 on a 2016 mbp. I rebooted, opened DT3 to a pdf, and repeated the process of adding a highlight and then adding a note. The first time it worked perfectly. The second time it froze for about 35-40 seconds.

After playing around a little more, DT3 does not freeze with pdfs that have been in the database for a long time. Is it possible that the “add note” function bogs down while new pdfs are being indexed? I often highlight pdfs immediately after importing them into the database.

Could you please launch Apple’s Activity Monitor application (see Applications > Utilities), select the frozen DEVONthink 3 app in the list of processes, choose the menu item View > Sample Process and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com? Thanks in advance!

1 Like