Adding a new service to the services menu

I wrote a service to move items from the global inbox to a specific group in a specific database.
However, after saving, the service doesn’t show up in the services menu for DTPO.
I have other services in the same folder and they are appearing correctly in the services menu.
The service works if I run it in Automator.
When inspecting the services menu I have a DTPO document selected so it doesn’t appear to be a contextual issue.

Any suggestions as to a possible cause of the problem.

Thanks.

Can you post the automator service please? It may help.

No typos?

@Allsop is correct --In addition to posting the workflow (a screenshot would do): Where did you save the service; what folder?

If you are frequently moving things to the same destination (i.e., “a specific group in a specific database”), it might be easier to add the group to Favorites in the sidebar and drag your item(s) to that particular Favorite.

Thanks for your response.

AutomatorMoveFiles.png

Thanks for your response.

• Typos - with me always possible but the process works within Automator

• Location: A folder I created in documents that holds other services

• Good suggestion thank you. Currently what I plan to do is to assign a shortcut key combination to the script and then create a Custom Command in Dragaon Dictate. Thus I should be able to say something like “File Finance” and the note will be moved to the appropriate folder.

@dorich – thanks. I’ve also tried to make this a service and to make it a standalone automator workflow. No joy. Still trying to sort why this is happening :frowning:

Meanwhile: have you tried doing this with a script? It’s pretty simple:

tell application id "com.devon-technologies.thinkpro2"

set theDatabase to open database "[enter POSIX path of the database in the file system]"
	set theSelection to the selection

set theDestination to create location "To" in theDatabase
	-- this either makes the group if it did not exist, or uses it as destination if it already exists

repeat with thisItem in theSelection
		move record thisItem to theDestination
	end repeat

end tell

[size=85]Edit: fixed code error (see below)[/size]
[size=85]Edit 2: made the script so that it can open any database for which you have a POSIX path[/size]

This is happening here. Also if I save it as an Auromator Application it quits Automator…weird :frowning: my OS is OSX 9 Mavericks.

Are these other services, DEVONthink services, or are they services for other apps?

Are you thinking of the services menu at DEVONthink > Services, or the menu that appears in the contextual menu when text is highlighted in a document?

If the former, I don’t believe you’ll be successful. For a service to operate in DEVONthink it has to meet one of the strictures in this list

So, if it is not one of (a) text selected in a document, or (b) a file or folder selected in the file system (selecting a document in DEVONthink is not the same thing), or (c) a part of a web page, then OS X will not display the service and it cannot be activated.

Which is why I suggested using a script, instead.

Understand now, thanks for explaining. :slight_smile:

One service is for the System (mount a disk) so not Devon specific but it appears in the menu. The other is for creating a Reminder so also not specific to Devon. The “Mount Disk” service is in the menu for the selection of both a document and text. The new reminder is in the menu when text is highlighted.

DEVONthink > Services

Yes, now you point it out there is no “Services” selection in the Contextual Menu when a DTPO document is selected.

Thanks for the script, I haven’t had time to use it but it should fulfill my needs since it appears that I can activate a script from within Dragon Dictate.

@Korm

I can’t get your script working. Would you be good enough to take a look for me and see if you can spot my deliberate mistake.
I did some unsuccessful experiments so I returned to your core code to see what happened. Here is what I have at the moment:

set theDatabase to current database

set theDestination to create location "To" in theDatabase
	-- this either makes the group if it did not exist, or uses it as destination if it already exists

move thisItem to theDestination
	end repeat
end tell

If I read this correctly it should create a new group called “To” (just for experimental purposes) in the current database and then move the selected item into that group.
It does indeed create a group but its in the Globals section. However, at the end of the script execution it throws an error thus

I can’t find an error with the ID -1701 and when I look at the Dictionary definition of “Move” it seems to indicate that the command needs a target and a destination, both of which appear to be specified.

I believe what I have is an exact replica of your code with the exception that I add “end tell” because the code as it was produced an error.

Apologies – :open_mouth:

The line

move thisItem to theDestination

should be

@korm

Thanks.

Another question: How do I specify a different database?

I’ve tried replacing

set theDatabase to current database

with

set theDatabase to "Macintosh HD/Users/username/Documents/Databases/databasename.dtBase2"

But that appears not to work.

I notice in the “Result” line of the editor that the script is still performing on the current database, which indeed it is. The script works but creates the new group in the Global (database?) instead of the target database.

Note, I’m not sure of the current path format so I also tried replacing ‘/’ with ‘:’ but to no avail.

Note: The target database that is the “target” for the document is already open.

I confirmed that I have the current path by trying another simple script to open a database, and it worked.
So the current version of the script, below, has the correct path, but it still creates a new group in the Global (database) not in the targeted database.
This seems to imply that perhaps when you target a different database you have to use some other command?
I’d appreciate any suggestions on how to correct the problem so that the location is either found in the targeted database or created in the targeted database.

set theDatabase to "~/Documents/DatabasesDTPO/databsename.dtBase2"

set theDestination to create location "Payments" in theDatabase

end repeat
end tell

Thanks

Misconstrued the requirements. Fire me.

Try is the construct for opening something other than the current database and making a group there.

set theDatabase to open database "~/the path/"
	create location "[location name]" in theDatabase
end tell

@dorich: You posted this…

Just sayin’

Thx.

If only my fingers were connected to my brain!

:smiley: Thanks so much for your help. Very much appreciated.

In case anyone else wants the ability to use a script that moves items from one database to another here is the final solution I have working. My use of this is to take items from the global inbox and transfer them to specific groups in a different database.
All the heavy lifting for this script was done by @korm.

set theDatabase to open database "~/Documents/DatabasesDTPO/databasename.dtBase2"
	set theDestination to create location "Top Level Group/Child Group" in theDatabase
	end repeat
end tell

'k :slight_smile: Enough! :laughing:

Hmmm. Your script looks familiar.

I guess if I’d grasped the point, I would have posted the same solution I posted four months ago here

It’s amazing what this can turn up.