Adding a PDF Signature

The question is, in my mind, „do I want to become DT an application that does everything even if there are other apps out there that already provide this functionality“?
Why stop at a visual signature, what about the digital ones? Why not have PDF modifying functions in DT, while we’re at it?
What about images? I still have to go to another program just to adjust the white balance and saturation. Then there’s audio and video, programming (DT‘s editor is sorely lacking programming features!)
To quote Larry Wall, the inventor of the Perl language: make simple things simple and difficult things possible.
If one can open a file from DT to perform whatever operation necessary, why reimplement this operation in DT?

2 Likes

That is where my head is at. A Swiss Knife approach to DEVONthink is a slippery approach. I am aware of the complications (cost, risk, etc.) of PDF signatures and given for those few who need it, there are plenty of apps out there that say they do it. DEVONthink’s key feature, there for a long time, is that it interacts with other apps is ways as “easy as possible” and fits into closely to the OS infrastructure. I don’t think I could afford the license cost for a DEVONthink that does “everything” with PDF’s, writing tools, etc.

1 Like

@chrillek and @rmschne, those are both excellent points. However, I was able to fill in a PDF form and I got 99% done with what I need to do, the only bit I couldn’t do was the signature. I guess that if I had needed an external application to do ANY of the job, then I wouldn’t be looking to DT to do that last bit as well. It’s a victim of its own success, I guess.

1 Like