Adding footnotes or "internal links" in a RTF

Just wondering if there is a way to add a link to a certain page or piece of text on a file.
For example, if I have a page for reading notes on an edited book, I’d like to have a list of the chapters at the top with a link to each place in the note where I’ve taken notes for that chapter.
I know I can just scroll down until I find it, but I thought there may be a way I can create something like a TOC at the top for easy access to a specific section of the note.
Any ideas?

Rich texts and formatted notes don’t support this but Markdown might be an alternative (but styling is of course more difficult then).

Criss is correct on this. Markdown, specifically MultiMarkdown, supports this by using {{TOC}} in a Markdown document. Any headers you enter show up as an item in the table of contents. Headers also nest, so an H2 header is treated as a sub-item of an H1 header.

revising this thread (can’t believe I didn’t know about the TOC in the inspector when I asked in the OP).
Just wondering if table of contents can be nested for an RTF document. If not, can this be a future feature request?
I understand Markdown documents can create nested TOCs in inspector, but I think this would be also beneficial on RTF documents.

No, there is no option to embed a table of contents in an RTF(D) file.

While this may be technically possible to achieve, it would likely only be useful in DEVONthink.

Also, since paragraph links are based on lines, edits to the file would easily break the TOC.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Sorry, I meant can the TOC in the inspector utilise nested headings, like the screenshot used on your blogspot

I assume that is a markdown file on display. This would be great for RTFs as well.
Or is your explanation referring to this?

The table of Contents inspector only displays one level of headings for rich text files. What would you assume would be detected as a subheading in rich text?

Fair enough.
I don’t have access to my DT at the moment, but I believe underlined+italicised lines get detected as subheadings, or at least from my memory.
I’ll double check tomorrow.