after a week heavy use of DTP I want to give a short newbie feedback:
Beside the things that brought me to DTP (wiki links, cross links, search facilities) I like:
- AppleScript Support
- many windows with different views to the same data (one thing OmniOutliner is lacking)
- this forum and the support of the DEVONpeople
There were a few things very confusing at the beginning. They are all solved for me now, but you might find it helpful to look thru they eyes of a newbie and his mistakes:
- Make link or highlight did not work as discribed until I discovered that they only work in RTF not with plain text
- re-ordering of items in the left pane (split view) did not work until I discoverd that the sorting was by name
- re-ordering is never possible in three-pane view as they are always by name
- the rtf mini outliner with opt-tab does not work in split view because the same comand is used for switching the panes
- DTP was eating the German Umlauts and some things did not work at all (browse arrows…) until I discovered that these were issues under Leopard and I had to wait for the update (after that: fine
Finally sometimes my old habits (thinking MySQL or FileMaker, missing tags and fields and so on) were confused by DTP approach - but I switched because I reached the limit of such databases for my project.
After a few days my data are now waiting within DTP and I am looking forward to go back to writing tomorrow using the new tool.