An interesting beach ball, not Devonthink's fault

This might be something to keep in mind if you get hangs when entering the Import function in Devonthink.

I spent an hour or so cussing Epson and reinstalling my scanner/printer this morning, totally missing the problem.

Devonthink’s latest update has been working fine. Then I installed Epson’s drivers for my new ET 8550 (wonderful printer, btw).

Then the problems started. When I would click DT’s Import button I would get a beach ball for maybe ten minutes.

After much tail-chasing, I finally realized the hang was only happening if Apple mail got launched by Devonthink’s import functions. I believe installing the Epson drivers was coincidence, not a cause.

The DT plug-in was disabled in Mail preferences. After enabling it, all was well. No more beach balls in Import.

And do you have very large mailboxes?

Sadly, I do not keep up with email like I should.

564 messages in Inboxes, 333 in Sent, and 1,766 in Trash which I’m deleting now.

Without the email plug-in, it was very slow. With it, very fast.

I should have noticed the last time I archived my email. I remember it took a long time.

I am biting my tongue on how unkempt my personal email is :flushed: For shame, Jim, for shame :wink:

And indeed, the Apple Mail plugin is orders of magnitude faster than the AppleScript channel.

That is nothing

Add at least 3 zeroes to those numbers- then we are talking large!

2 Likes

Cleanup on aisle kaplan, cleanup on aisle kaplan
:wink:

2 Likes

Well, I’ve got 35,699 messages in my DT email archive with an undisclosed number unread. There are some messages I don’t want to lose in that logjam.

I keep thinking, “Just look at 100 a day for a month, it would be a start…”

1 Like