Annotation Documents on Web Server

If I view an Annotation Document on the web server, the Back Links do not work.

I believe in a different discussion you said that item links do not work on the web server since these only work on a local computer. Perhaps that is related to the same issue with annotation documents?

Thinking about this more, I am puzzled why this does not work. The web server runs on a computer which is fully capable of resolving item links. Why not let the web server resolve item links locally before displaying the results via the web?

I just tried this and it works as expected. Do you use the standard template for annotations?

Yes - standard template

*** Clarification - the back links “work” in that they resolve to the correct document - but they do not resolve to the desired page. Did you try a back link that points to other than Page 1?

That’s a limitation of browsers, it’s not possible to jump to a certain PDF page.

But Adobe documents this feature for PDF documents:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/link-html-pdf-page-acrobat.html

Adobe? Haven’t installed this plugin since Mac OS X 10.0, only on classic MacOS :slight_smile: Anyway, thanks for the hint.

Read this again…

HTML pages can contain links that open PDF files within a web browser by using an Adobe Acrobat product (Adobe Acrobat Professional or Standard, Adobe Acrobat 3D, or Adobe Reader) plug-in that is installed into supported versions of Netscape Navigator, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, or Safari (Mac OS).

That is not the same thing as using DEVONthink’s websharing. Also, the Acrobat browser plugins are notorious for causing crashes on macOS, so much so we have instructions for uninstalling them. In fact, I have had several tickets of Acrobat plugin crashes in the past few weeks.

Version 3.0.1 will include a workaround for at least one crash of that plugin. Not exactly our job but probably faster than waiting for Adobe :smiley:

3.0.1 will support this.

1 Like