Another newbie question - indexing vs importing

yeah good link Nat.

…and reminds me to get back to work. I’ve been procrastinating in here instead of sorting out the admin aspects of my life.

Sigh :slight_smile:

There have been questions or problems with indexing in the past. Many have been discussed (by me and others) over the years, and this includes how folder/group changes are handled.

I think where I disagree with jamesmicfish is that he has not taken the time to explore the rich treasure trove of knowledge in the forums, in the manuals, on the Internet, etc. Yes, DT could be better (everyone agrees). Yes, it is good to exchange ideas (everyone agrees). But, rather than trying to understand what DT is doing first, recognizing that there are reasons why things work the way it does, and then making suggestions for improvement based on DT’s vision for the app, he is trying to impose a radically different utopian vision onto it of some other app that he wants to see someone make, and I am not even remotely interested in seeing DT transformed into this thing.

This began as a question about importing vs. indexing, but has morphed into a bunch of suggestions for upending everything. I’d be much more interested in talking about more concrete ideas (related to the original post) and ways that we could improve certain aspects of the app – I’m not so interested in seeing a complete overhaul of it. I like how indexing works now, but I would also like to see an option (not a replacement for the current system) for having the DT database more closely mirror the indexed folders (for example, moving a folder or file in Finder that is moved in DT). In that, we are in agreement.

Fair point.

I’m rushing to find the right tools after making the jump to Mac in the midst of a project.

btw Since Apple Pages can be edited from within DEVONthink, that partly meets my need for an editing tool.

So my only major issue with DEVONthink is the lack of synching with filing system.

So nothing more to add.

YES to all this. It’s music to my ears. Thanks!

And sometimes things should be “EITHER/OR”, not “BOTH/AND”. :smiley:

I don’t understand what this sentence means in this context, perhaps because I can’t parse what “things” means in this context. (Error: Variable “things” not defined!) I’m guessing it’s a statement of opinion that indexing of external folders in DEVONthink is perfectly fine as it is and there should not be an option for it to be any other way?

Another (implausible) guess is that this sentence is a reference to the Unix philosophy (the Wikipedia article on the Unix philosophy is well worth reading). I certainly approve of that philosophy, although its relevance to a massive Mac app like DEVONthink is questionable. And it has been noted that even Unix doesn’t follow the Unix philosophy.