Any tips on harnessing DEVONthink as a toy model database?

Title.

I would like to create and keep records of my model collection with photos, details like when I bought them, specific features, etc.

Another use case I would like input on is a database of my electronic appliances - serial numbers, date of purchase, manual scans or links, service center phone numbers, etc.

Or should I look at a more dedicated database application?

You can use DEVONthink in many different ways. Whether you can do what you want would really be up to your own exploration and organizational techniques. It’s flexible enough to allow for many different points of view. It could be a sheet, or a document (like Markdown), or just a group of related items. Here’s a quick Markdown document I knocked out in a few minutes…

Huh! Thanks for the mock-up!

No problem. (And yes, I created the Markdown document in DEVONthink, in case anyone wondered. :smiley: )

@BLUEFROG, any chance you’d be willing to share the custom CSS file you used to create this, or at least the contents of the said file?

Not a super technical person, but if I have a starting point I can usually muddle my way through to get what I want.

Thanks either way!

It’s actually internally styled, not a linked stylesheet (though that could obviously be easily done). It’s some basic CSS, just for a little color and presentation (remembering this is less than 10 minutes of writing the Markdown :smiley: ), but it does have a few nice tricks in it IMHO.

Here’s the Markdown…

<style type="text/css">
body {
--accent:rgba(0,128,255,1);
margin: 20px;
}

strong {
color: var(--accent);
}

p {
font: normal 14px/1.5 sans-serif;
}

figure {
display: inline;
margin: 0;
}

img {
padding: 15px;
border-width: 2px;
border-style:solid;
border-color: var(--accent);
width: 50%;
height:auto;
}

img:hover {
width:93%;
}

h2 {
color:white;
background-color: var(--accent) ;
padding: 15px;
margin: -20px -20px 10px -20px;
}

h4 {
color: var(--accent);
font-size: 14px;
margin-bottom: -10px;
}

</style>

## Hot Wheels® Car Culture ’69 

![](fbx25_01.jpeg) /* This image is in the same group as the Markdown document. */

**Purchase Price:** $17.00  
**Purchase Date:** 2018-11-17  
**Purchase Location:** Midland, TX  
**Seller's Name:** Bob Throttle  
**Serial Number:** 123-456-789A 

#### Notes:
I bought this from an 87 year old collector in Texas. He also had a '59 Corvette that he wouldn't part with.