Any way to control how many databases/directories scanned and/or indexed at once?

I’ve noticed there are times when DT becomes completely unresponsive and this is almost always due to it trying to scan and/or index several large databases/directories at once. The app becomes completely useless as it attempts to churn through them. So is there a way (or best practice) to manage this situation?

I don’t think I have a complex or uncommon setup. I have several large (1Ks of files) directories, some of which are local and some are networked. All of my databases are 90+% scanned directory metadata and 10% files sitting in the inbox. The setup is synced to 2 Macs and 2 mobile devices.

Is the solution to only open 1 database at a time and let it do its thing and then the next?

Or to turn off indexing all together? This would only seem to impact anything in the inbox or a note I create in DT, so seems like a viable option.

Or is there a little-known config somewhere that says Only index after scanning? Or only scan X things at a time? I’m pretty certain the network connections under sync will only impact the actual sync and not scanning.

I don’t think I have a complex or uncommon setup.

We all think that’s the case :wink:

I have several large (1Ks of files) directories, some of which are local and some are networked.

See the emboldened part of your quote? This is the likely source of an issue.

• Are you on WiFi or Ethernet?
    • If WiFi, it’s even more likely a culprit.

In File > Database Properties for each database, what is the total number of words and unique being reported?
This is the other potential place that may have an issue.

Or to turn off indexing all together?

I would ask why you’re indexing in the first place.
Have you read the Help > Documentation > In & Out > Importing & Indexing section - including the Indexing and the filesystem section? If not, do so.

I’m pretty certain the network connections under sync will only impact the actual sync and not scanning.

It’s unclear what you’re referring to here. Sync is a specific operation in DEVONthink and is unrelated to indexing directly.

Or is there a little-known config somewhere that says Only index after scanning?

And no, there is no such configuration or preference.

A screenshot of the activities would be useful. In addition, please launch Apple’s Activity Monitor application (see Applications > Utilities), select the DEVONthink 3 while not responsive in the list of processes, choose the menu item View > Sample Process and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com. Thanks in advance!

Finally got a chance to send the email. Should be in your inbox. Update on everything going on + the sample. Let me know if you need more.

M1 Mac is a hardline ethernet. 1Gb.

Total number of words for 1 of the databases: 10M; Total Unique: 181K. There are several hooked up of similar nature.

I’m indexing because I need access to the files across devices and different apps. Storing the files on a secure server that enables this is critical. So I can’t have it all in a Devonthink database, and don’t want to deal with the database being out of sync with a copy when edits are made.

Yep, I’ve read the help on Indexing and syncing and from the downloadable book. I think I have everything setup properly.

Sorry sorry the issues of staying in Sync and Indexing always seem to go hand-in hand. I’ll get a database that shows up on one device as being out of sync despite using the same sync method. For example the inbox on one DB would not update on my MacBook for a week despite using the same sync method as my M1. Though the database on both would through verification errors daily, and the only real fix I found was to re-index the source drive. This seemed to get the two to start syncing again after a week.

My ask about the config is that when DT3 starts trying to sync, verify, and index multiple large databases at once the app becomes unresponsive.