Any way to import from Evernote?

Hi,
I’m just wondering if there’s any way to import from Evernote. Obviously this wouldn’t be possible from Evernote Mac, but I was thinking I could export from the Mac version, import into the Windows version, and export from there. Has anyone pulling this off?

As far as I know Evernote for Mac is only able to export to a proprietary XML format (.enex). And that’s almost useless as no application supports this format. Makes me wonder if they want to lock your data.

Yes that’s true. But I think you can import into Evernote for Windows and then export from there. I suppose I can manage this by exporting to rtf or html and then importing into DT. Thanx for the reply.

I may be misunderstanding your question. But, for example, Curio has a very nice feature where it can show all of your Curio notes and you can bring any of those notes/images into a Curio “idea space.” So at some basic level it’s possible for apps to read/work with Evernote.

I didn’t claim that it’s impossible. But they let others do the work instead of simply using standard file formats.

I’m also stuck with a bunch of Data in Evernote that I need to move to DTpro2

In Evernote, you can print any note, so this would be a convenient way to move data (print to PDF-DT). But you can only select and print one note at a time. I have about 900 notes I need to move before I can retire evernote.

Any ideas? Maybe a macro to print, next record, print, etc ??
FYI- I don’t have a PC, so the move to PC trick isn’t a great option for me.

Jeff

I’ve just checked this but it’s not even scriptable. EverNote provides access to all kinds of useless data like latitude/longitude/altitude but NO way to access the contents of the notes. Great way not to lose any customers!

So basically Evernot is tantamount to a Roach Motel for your data. Data goes in (easily) but doesn’t come out (easily)

Glad I haven’t invested a bunch of time and effort into Evernote. It’s a nice app but it does seem to rely on a bit of lock-in.

That’s funny, twice (once for the typo). :slight_smile:

Ouch.

I had around 100 notes, web clippings, etc. to get out. I did them one by one. After the first twenty, I decided that I really didn’t need to keep most of those notes and gave up.

Good Luck.

I believe this is confirmed by quite a bit of chatter on the the Evernote forums. EN has promised a data export function for quite some time, but so far, nothing. So yes, Evernote is a one way trip to data-lock.

Before committing to a print, print print… type of routine, might I suggest you think about using a text editor like Bean that allows you make a new rtf from the selected text of another application. (I believe this is a standard services function in Bean)

See if bringing each item up in Evernote, then CMD A and using a keystroke shortcut for “New Document Containing Selection” is faster than printing.

Come to think of it, the DT service for Take a Plane / RIch Text note would work well also…

Granted it’s a crap load of work, but the result might be better and more useful in DT (or any future place you might want your data) than printouts.

Certainly one round of this type of conversion should cure anyone of using a data-lock application ever again.

Doug

Evernote, which is free for a basic version, might be useful in that it may render web pages printed to PDF files better than some browsers. Together may do this also, but it’s not free.

But beyond accurately “PDFizing” a web page that needs an accurate representation (and some pages don’t need that treatment), I can’t say I see a whole lot of use for Evernote. The browser toolbar icon might be a nice touch, but I have DTPO services and scripts tied to key commands with FastScripts that I can clip text with just as easily. And I don’t need my notes database on a server accessible from anywhere in the world.

I guess I just don’t see much of a reason to use Evernote.

Have been fighting with .enex files this morning and this simple script should at least be able to import the notes (attachments and images not supported) as HTML, you have to convert them to rich text on your own.

Please let me know if it’s working for you, I don’t use EverNote of course and therefore imported only 4 test notes :wink:

-- Import EverNote .enex files
-- Created by Christian Grunenberg on Mar Wed 25 2009.
-- Copyright (c) 2009. All rights reserved.

tell application id "com.devon-technologies.thinkpro2"
	try
		activate
		if not (exists current database) then error "No database is open."
		set theFile to choose file with prompt "Choose an EverNote .enex file:" without invisibles, multiple selections allowed and showing package contents
		set theGroup to create location "/EverNote"
		set theNum to 0

tell application "System Events"
			set theXMLData to XML file (POSIX path of theFile)
			set theNotes to XML elements of (XML element 1 of theXMLData)
			repeat with theNote in theNotes
				try
					set theTitle to (value of XML element named "title" of theNote) as string
					set theContent to (value of XML element named "content" of theNote) as string
					try
						set theAttributes to XML element named "note-attributes" of theNote
						set theSourceURL to (value of XML element named "source-url" of theAttributes) as string
					on error
						set theSourceURL to ""
					end try
					set theContent to my replaceString(theContent, "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"UTF-8\"?>", "")
					set theContent to my replaceString(theContent, "<!DOCTYPE en-note SYSTEM \"http://xml.evernote.com/pub/enml.dtd\">", "")
					set theContent to my replaceString(theContent, "<en-note>", "<html><meta http-equiv=\"Content-Type\" content=\"text/html; charset=UTF-8\" /><body>")
					set theContent to my replaceString(theContent, "</en-note>", "</body></html>")
					tell application id "com.devon-technologies.thinkpro2" to create record with {name:theTitle, type:html, URL:theSourceURL, source:theContent} in theGroup
					set theNum to theNum + 1
				end try
			end repeat
			error "Added " & (theNum as string) & " notes."
		end tell
	on error error_message number error_number
		if the error_number is not -128 then display alert "DEVONthink Pro" message error_message as warning
	end try
end tell

on replaceString(theString, theOriginalString, theNewString)
	set {od, AppleScript's text item delimiters} to {AppleScript's text item delimiters, theOriginalString}
	set theStringParts to text items of theString
	if (count of theStringParts) is greater than 1 then
		set theString to text item 1 of theStringParts as string
		repeat with eachPart in items 2 thru -1 of theStringParts
			set theString to theString & theNewString & eachPart as string
		end repeat
	end if
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to od
	return theString
end replaceString

Evernote integrates nicely with the iPhone and I assume with Windows (I haven’t tested that myself). I use Evernote sparingly to get small amounts of data to/from the iPhone, but I would never consider it as a replacement for DT.

Works like a charm; thanks!

Noticing yet another script appear several posts into a thread is the motivation behind my posting here …

At least for me it would be very helpful to have a summarized index of forum-posted scripts somewhere so they’re easier to locate in the future. Sometimes I’ll see one I’m not immediately interested in, then remember it when I am and hopefully can find it. This Evernote script as an example of that, which is why I’m mentioning the idea here. Or, I’ve missed posts with scripts that would be useful but can’t easily know they exist when they’re only buried (sometimes deeply) in threads.

One way to do this would be with a sticky thread of posts linking to one or more scripts in their original locations, plus short descriptions. It’s advantageous being a community-supported effort instead of just something DTech would have to do, but it’s disadvantageous having to know and remember to do it manually instead of it being mostly automatic.

Send me a PM if you’d support this script index idea (not necessarily the sticky thread implementation) and if there’s enough interest I’ll start a separate topic for discussing the details.

Scripts of common interest (e.g. this one) will be usually part of upcoming releases or added to the academy (which still has to be overhauled for v2 of course).

Though sometimes scripts of uncommon interest eventually become interesting. :slight_smile:

Keeping a personal index for any of potential interest I happen to notice will be fine.

Hi Everyone,

Christian’s script inspired me to write a couple of my own DEVONthink=>Evernote / Evernote => DEVONthink AppleScripts. :smiley:

You can find them at http://veritrope.com/tips/connecting-evernote-and-devonthink-with-applescript

My approach differs in that:

[]You can select the notes to export from the script itself (don’t have to manually export the ENEX files beforehand).[/]
[]It creates and imports a “Web Archive” from the Evernote data, preserving the formatting and content a little better.[/] []I have also added Growl Support to monitor the status of the export.[/]

These are “the 1.0 versions” (have some ideas for the next revisions already!), so please test them out and leave me comments on each script’s page to let me know how they are working out for you!

Hope they are of help to you!

Kind Regards,
Justin

I am surprised that nobody contemplates simply indexing evernote’s database into DT. IMO, evernote is a different type of beast and you don’t have to necessarily give one up for the other. Ideally, I want to continue using evernote for certain type of data but also to be able to use the searching, reference and organizing capabilities of DT on my evernote data.
It is doable- you can index your evernote library and use it in DT. Unfortunately, you will also get a number of other files like thumbnails. A script allowing you to index only pdf, image and other data containing files would be welcome.

I anybody has tried indexing evernote by DT, I would live to hear about your experience.