Any way to view DT3 Reading List in DTG?

Is there any way to view the content of the DEVONthink 3 Reading List in DEVONthink To Go?

This is planned for future releases.

6 Likes

Similarly, Iā€™d like to be able to add items to the Reading List through DTTG, please as I find, on my iPad and iPhone, that I capture a blog post etc in DTTG that Iā€™d like to see in my DT Reading List.

Why donā€™t you just add a tag in DEVONthink To Go, like To Read, then use a smart rule in DEVONthink, like soā€¦

Note: I am removing the Tag in DEVONthink so Iā€™m already filing it in the Reading List (i.e., the Reading List is providing the same function as the Tag would). However, depending on what else youā€™re doing with the Tag, you may want to leave it.

I am also removing the Tag so itā€™s no longer matched by the smart ruleā€™s criteria, avoiding future reprocessing.

2 Likes

Great idea! Many thanks and for reminding us of the real power behind DEVONthinkšŸ˜„

Youā€™re very welcome and yeah, DEVONthink 3 is pretty much the Infinity Gauntletā€¦

Okay, maybe thatā€™s a little exaggeration :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Nice! Iā€™d make one slight modification, though. (Well, two ā€” I donā€™t think you need the ā€œKind is Any Documentā€ criterion, do you? Or are there database items that are not ā€œdocumentsā€?)

As it is, with the tag removed, the item is no longer identifiable as a reading list item in DTTG. Iā€™d add a second criterion to the smart rule: ā€œTag is not inReadingListā€, and then replace your ā€œRemove Tagsā€ action with ā€œAdd Tags inReadingListā€. That way DTTG knows itā€™s a pseudo-reading list item, but DT3 also knows itā€™s already added to the actual reading list.

Or are there database items that are not ā€œdocumentsā€?

Of course: groups, smart groups, tags / group tags / ordinary tags.

Useful workaround, thanks. I hope to see the Reading List in DTTG in the near future: the more comfortable device to read something is the iPad, at least for me.

When a started the trial I discovered a lot of ways to use DT that I never thought before, it has replaced both the Read it later and Bookmark services I was using before.

Itā€™s really astonishing! At the beginning a was: Ā«DT doesnā€™t seem to match my workflow enough to justify the expenseā€¦Ā», now I keep finding ways to use DT to evolve and improve my workflowā€¦ :no_mouth:

2 Likes

For anyone who comes here trying to determine whether DEVONthink To Go syncs the reading list across devices and the desktop version of DEVONthink: yes, it does, in the current version of DTTG (which is 3.3.2 at the time of this writing, but I think it was in a previous update, possibly around 3.3).

Yes, this was introduced in a previous update.