Apple Mail Missing "Add to DEVONthink3"

Yes. That is why I am confused. Could it have something to do with the fact, that I restored this mac from a time machine backup?

Maybe it’s a permission issue, you could try to delete the folder ~/Library/Mail/Bundles, then install the plug-in again and finally enable it.

1 Like

Unfortunately, that didn’t work. I tried to install a different plugin with no success either.

I think of biting the bullet and going down this route

Deleting DataVault

Does this seem wise to you? I am a bit afraid tbh.

If you press Command-I to open the Get Info pane for the Bundles folder, what are the permissions in the Sharing & Permissions section?

1 Like

Please check first whether DEVONthink 3 has full disk access. If that’s not the case then please enable it and try the above steps again.

1 Like

@BLUEFROG It was read & write.

@cgrunenberg It had full disk access.

In the end I did it and it worked out fine. Also, I re-enabled SIP as soon as I could. Thanks for your support! It seems Catalina caused quite a bit of issues. Let’s wait for Big Sur for new problems :sweat_smile: .

Let’s wait for Big Sur for new problems :sweat_smile:

Haha! We eagerly await even more support problems from Big Sur :roll_eyes: :wink:

Thank you! I had the same problem more many months with Devonthink 3 Apple Mail Plug-In not being listed in Apple Mail preferences Manage Plug In list which stopped me from manually activating the plug-in. I went through the same steps you did until I followed the “Deleting DataVault” link instructions to delete the Apple mail DataVaults folder. It worked!

1 Like

“Only the Pro and Server editions have the Apple Mail plugin and handle emails.”

Following the description on your homepage, this is misleading!

I may copy-paste from dt website:

DEVONthink is your paperless office. It stores all your documents, helps you keep them organized, and presents you with what you need to get the job done.

• Keeps your data together
  • Scans your paper (note: what is a feature of my Scannersoftware btw…)
  • Archives your email

I repeat: DEVONTHINK archives your email. Not DEVONTHINK PRO.
Please don’t tell us that you mean, we can print a mail with our printer and scan it to an ocr-less bitmap… :wink:

I have paid for a version that is described as “archives your email”, could you please provide me with a solution?

thanks
erik

To the best of my knowledge you can (drag and) drop emails into every version of DT3; in that sense you can archive your emails. The Pro and Server versions offer additional tools (e.g. searching emails, importing directly from Mail from within DT).

I would also suggest that you have quoted very selectively from the website, as you’ve left out the following passage from directly below the one you quote:

Editions for Every Budget
DEVONthink is available in three editions for different workflows, needs, and budgets. Learn more.

Not only does that suggest different levels of functionality, the Learn more link takes you directly to an overview of what is only offered by the Pro and Server versions.

If you want to upgrade, btw., DEVONtech are participating in WinterFest and have provided a coupon code in their blog. You can use it to receive a 25 % discount on an upgrade. That offer ends Wednesday, January 12th, 2022, at 9 a.m. UTC; see the link above for T&C.

1 Like

Actually, while the Standard edition can receive an e-mail, it will not be indexed and therefore not searchable. This is only possible in the Pro and Server editions.

Why is this fact not listed as a missing feature in Devonthink?
I mean, dt will exactly know that writing “archives your e-mail” will trigger 100% of all people to think that we can search mails, that we get the plugin. Still I find this misleading and NOT FAIR!
So to get the benefit I would have to pay another 197$ = 173€ + 20% tax = 208€ for upgrading my 4 seats.
At least it explains why my devonthink doesn’t find anything. 99% are imported emails from the trial period, and searching went quite well, now dt finds nothing.
I’m not convinced, dt doesn’t find duplicates, some files are 3 or 4 times there, exactly the same (content, filename, size, checksum), and dt doesn’t recognize them,… I already run a check/repair, but I’m still clicking my photo duplicates one by one, by hand,… it’s annoying. As long as I ran the trial, it was quite ok, but since I have the license, it’s like “Taste the Whiskey, and buy water”.
I know, my fault. Every time the same.

#edit: corrected the dollar/euro

Is there something else I’ll have to buy to get the features of the trial version? Maybe I’ll have to buy the server-version…?

Oh, and this is also not correct imho: “DEVONthink grows with your needs.” Mmh, depends on my needs… DT to go doesn’t see intelligent rules or groups. To me these are basics. Yes, I had the possibility to try it, but that does not change the fact the intelligent things are not there. So, to be sure I can access my files on dt2go, I must not use intelligent things, what makes dt a little less comfortable, and in fact it reduces the worth of dt. Not being able to use intelligent rules doesn’t really ruin my day, but when I don’t see the folders, where is the benefit of that software over the builtin search tools of IOS?

I’m sorry to inform you but 100% of the people have certainly not “been triggered” to think that. In fact, people have generally thanked us for clarifying what they misunderstood and often gone on to upgrade happily :slight_smile:

Sorry if it was unclear to you.

A verify and repair doesn’t locate duplicate files. It checks for inconsistencies in the database’s underlying content and metadata, correcting what it can and logging / informing about what it can’t fix (like missing files).

Also note DEVONthink is built for and excels with textual content. It’s not made for duplicate detection of images, even if it can detect them to some degree.

Hi I do have the pro edition but the plugin is nowhere to be seen. I have followed all the instructions to install it…

Where have you looked to see it?

Presumably you have “installed” from DEVONthink’s “Install Add-ins” menu. Then look in “Manage Plug-ins” on the Mail’s General Preferences. And as suggested above check in ~/Library/Mail/Bundles to confirm it’s definitely installed.

1 Like

I have followed the instructions mentioned above yet fail to see the extension in Apple Mail. The folder name in Mail/Bundles reads DEVONTHINK_BigSur.mailbundle.

Does it even work on Ventura or do I need to wait for an update?

Welcome @Ironoak

Yes, it works on Ventura and the name is correct.

Hi @BLUEFROG
I have the same problem as Ironoak. I followed all the steps in this thread to troubleshoot. The Bundle is installed but it doesn’t show up in Apple Mail. Not in the menu nor in Add-ins. Something else I can do?
(DEVONthink: 3.8.6, Mail: 16.0)

Welcome @Mazoor

Are you looking in Apple Mail’s Preferences > General > Manage Plug-Ins?

1 Like

@BLUEFROG …and that solved my problem! I was always looking in “Extensions”. Working now! Thanks a lot for your support.

2 Likes