Applescript export label as a character value and not numeric possible?

Hi all

reading the Devonthink library i understand you can get a 0 - 7 index for the label state.

I cant seem to find how to translate the number to an actual label (TODO , DONE etc)

is that possible in anyway?

best

Z

The label text is not a property of a record in AppleScript.
You could hard code your own values in, e.g., as a simple example…

tell application id "DNtp"
	set theRecord to (item 1 of (selection as list))
	set recLabel to label of theRecord
	if recLabel = 1 then
		set labelText to "To Do"
	else if recLabel = 2 then
		set labelText to "Done"
	end if
	display alert "Label " & (recLabel & " = " & labelText)
end tell

You can get the descriptions from DEVONthink’s plist

-- Get label descriptions

use AppleScript version "2.4"
use framework "Foundation"
use scripting additions

set theLabelDescriptions to my getLabelDescriptions()

on getLabelDescriptions()
	if current application's id = "com.devon-technologies.think3" then
		set theDefaults to current application's NSUserDefaults's standardUserDefaults()
	else
		set theDefaults to current application's NSUserDefaults's alloc()'s initWithSuiteName:"com.devon-technologies.think3"
	end if
	set theDictionary to (theDefaults's dictionaryRepresentation())'s dictionaryWithValuesForKeys:{"LabelDescription-1", "LabelDescription-2", "LabelDescription-3", "LabelDescription-4", "LabelDescription-5", "LabelDescription-6", "LabelDescription-7"}
	return theDictionary's allValues() as list
end getLabelDescriptions

Make sure to add the use statements at the top of your script:

use scripting additions
2 Likes

Yes, but that is also definitely not a beginner’s solution.

Sure, writting it is not a beginner task. But it’s easy to use.

To create variables for all label descriptions:

use scripting additions

set {theLabel_1, theLabel_2, theLabel_3, theLabel_4, theLabel_5, theLabel_6, theLabel_7} to my getLabelDescriptions()
--> {"red", "green", "blue", "yellow", "orange", "gray", "black"}

if current application's id = "com.devon-technologies.think3" then -- https://forum.latenightsw.com/t/storing-persistent-values-in-preferences/864
		set theDefaults to current application's NSUserDefaults's standardUserDefaults()
	else
		set theDefaults to current application's NSUserDefaults's alloc()'s initWithSuiteName:"com.devon-technologies.think3"
	end if
	set theDictionary to (theDefaults's dictionaryRepresentation())'s dictionaryWithValuesForKeys:{"LabelDescription-1", "LabelDescription-2", "LabelDescription-3", "LabelDescription-4", "LabelDescription-5", "LabelDescription-6", "LabelDescription-7"}
end getLabelDescriptions

Or, if one only needs specific labels:

use scripting additions

set theLabelDescriptions to my getLabelDescriptions()
set theLabel_1 to item 1 of theLabelDescriptions
--> "red"
set theLabel_2 to item 2 of theLabelDescriptions
--> "green"

if current application's id = "com.devon-technologies.think3" then -- https://forum.latenightsw.com/t/storing-persistent-values-in-preferences/864
	else
	end if
end getLabelDescriptions

This is a very subjective opinion.
ASOC is not easy to use for many people, including newbies.

I think using a script is simple regardless of the language it is written in. Modifying it – that’s something else.

2 Likes

Obviously I know where the values are stored and how to access them programmatically (though I would not opt for ASOC to do it.)

The OP is expressing an interest in learning to script on their own. Given that parameter, I opted to provide a simple and understandable way to approach the issue to help encourage and teach something.

So the OP now has a choice of worlds; DEVONthink itself is an app which allows users to choose their own route to achieving their goal. Why not do the same in the forum?

I’m not the OP; I don’t even have any need for what the OP is requesting. But I love seeing the different approaches presented here; @pete31’s solution just goes to show me how much more powerful AS(OC) is than I am aware. Nothing wrong with that, Jim - well not as I see it, anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hardcode a list variable
set theLabelDescriptions to {" ",“Pending”, “Active”, “Next Action”, “xCompleted”, “SomedayMaybe”, “”, “Dropped”}

To access
set theLabel to item (label of theRecord + 1) of theLabelDescriptions

thx all!

as @BLUEFROG said im an absolute newb so @BLUEFROG’s code was very easy to understand and implement.

I do appreciate the alternative approach @pete31, i learned some more from it!

thx again guys!

Z

3 Likes

You’re welcome. :slight_smile: