"attribute runs" parsing

[size=150]Hi,

I need some examples of using “Attribute runs” as a way of geting at hilited style runs in a rtf doc within Devon. Thanks

andrew[/size]

Assuming that a rich text is visible in the frontmost window, then this script collects the highlighted strings:

tell application "DEVONthink Pro"
	set theHighlights to ""
	tell text of think window 1
		repeat with theAttribute in attribute runs
			if exists background of theAttribute then
				set theHighlights to theHighlights & (theAttribute as string) & return
			end if
		end repeat
	end tell
	display dialog theHighlights as string
end tell

Thanks alot Christian. I’ll see what I can do with this. I really appreciate how quickly and acurately you respond to all of these requests. It’s a testament to how great DT is. Thanks again.

Gabe

[size=150]

Hi, I tried your code and it doesnt work for me. Am using 1.1.1 and 10.3.9 for now. It fails at this line:

exists background of theAttribute

Any suggests how to get it work?? Thanks for example. :slight_smile: And if you can, how would I get the hililte color value as RGB too?

Andrew[/size]

Here’s an enhanced version compatible to 10.3.9 & 10.4.x and also checking that a specified background color is not white. This demonstrates also usage of RGB colors ranging from 0-65535:

set theHighlights to ""
		set skipped to false
			set theProperties to properties of theAttribute
			set theBackground to background of theProperties
			if theBackground is not missing value and theBackground is not {65535, 65535, 65535} then
				set theHighlights to theHighlights & (theAttribute as string)
				if skipped then
					set theHighlights to theHighlights & return
					set skipped to false
				end if
			else
				set skipped to true
			end if
		end repeat
	end tell
	display dialog theHighlights as string
end tell

Oh yes! This works. :smiley:

here is my reworking:

set theHighlights to ""
		set skipped to false
		set C to 0
			set theProperties to properties of theAttribute
			set theBackground to background of theProperties
			if theBackground is not missing value and theBackground is not {65535, 65535, 65535} then
				set C to C + 1
				set RGBvals to item 1 of theBackground & "," & item 2 of theBackground & "," & item 3 of theBackground
-- i would like a better way of getting the list, any suggestions??
				set theHighlights to theHighlights & ("quote:" & C & return & (RGBvals) & return & ((tab & tab & "\"" & theAttribute as string) & "\"") & return & return)
			else
				set skipped to true
			end if
		end repeat
	end tell
	set the clipboard to theHighlights as string
end tell

one more thing, can i see the code for next/prev nav to hilites, or tell me how i can do it, thanks. I want to jump to a color too.

DT Rocks! Never, never again will I have to hand transcribe quotes for my research projects. My fingers thank you. This is why a computer exists. :wink:

andrew

That’s not possible - the only (more or less useful) workaround is probably to use system events to script the Go > Previous/Next Highlight commands.