Automate Deleting Specific Document

Hi DEVON Community,

I’ve created a workflow to have Hazel import a document into a specific folder in DEVONthink every time I modify it, and I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to delete the older version of the file (or at least moving it to the trash) from DEVONthink prior to importing the new one?

Thank you so much for your help!

Sincerely,
Chris

Welcome @chrisg

I’m curious why you’re reimporting the same file?

Hi! Thank you for your response. It’s an expense spread sheet I make changes to on my phone and would just like to keep the most up to date copy in my DEVONthink database. Is this something that can be done?

Yes, but I’m not sure why you’re approaching the issue with Hazel and a Finder folder.

Are you not running DEVONthink To Go? It’s not required, but may be an option.

I have DEVONthink To Go, however, I having trouble directly editing files to it. For instance I’d open up my excel sheet in the excel app but it wouldn’t save back to my database. Maybe I just don’t know how to use it?

If the Excel file is in your synced database (ie. using our sync mechanism), yes you can access it from within Excel.

You need to have purchased the in-app Pro Pack (see DEVONthink To Go’s Settings > Manage).

Go into Excel and choose Open from the sidebar and touch More.

If DEVONthink To Go isn’t enabled, flip the switch to enable it. Then go into your database(s), find the file and open / edit it.

Great, thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it!

You’re very welcome. Cheers! :slight_smile: