Automated renaming of tags?

Yes, that’s what I had first hoped to do but found I couldn’t. Hence why I’m now thinking use groups (which also tag) rather than just tags.

I have been somewhat confused by tags, tag groups, group tags, and groups. It would help if tags and group tags were in different colours. I finally spotted there are a couple of additional lines at the right-hand side of a group tag in the tag bar.

Groups and group tags are differentiated by icons and yes, the token in the Tags bar / Tags fields show as stacked tokens.

And classification doesn’t consider tags.

1 Like

My testing showed the alias process works for your purpose
Test it yourself

1 Like

Will do. I think switching to groups (with tags enabled) and aliases will get me to the process I’m hoping for.

The whole process of

• assigning the tag you want
  • removing the old tag

is already automated if you add the old tag‘s name as an alias to the „new“ tag (the tag that you want to use).

It’s really that simple :slight_smile:.

If you then still need an additional group for each tag then that would be possible by replicating each tag‘s children into a group. This would be much easier than using classify just to assign a tag.

In case you need help with an AppleScript that adds aliases to your tags let me know.

1 Like

Thanks so much, Pete. I really appreciate your assistance.

How does one ‘replicate each tag’s children into a group’? Do you mean a smart group or something else?

Could someone confirm what the correct separator is for a list of aliases, please, or if it matters? The documentation states semicolons (p.110), but when merging tags they are separated by commas. Both seem to work, but I don’t want to discover that by choosing one rather than another that I cause problems in the future.

When I merged two tags with aliases - one semicolon-separated, the other comma-separated - both were preserved.

@cgrunenberg would have to comment on this behavior.

1 Like

Both comma and semicolons are supported.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification.

Thought of a Smart Rule script that gets all children of a tag and replicates them into a regular group (or moves them from e.g. the inbox into a regular group).

1 Like

Excellent. Thanks again!

1 Like

hey Tony @tonywatkins : did you figure out a good process for that? would you share? I would be interested in that very much… thx