Automatic renaming of dtSparse to sparseimage and unintended consequences

Related issue which I never truly have gotten a handle on…

If I run my Mac continuously (as I use the DT3 server) and use both Time Machine and Arq for backups, are my databases regularly backed up? Or do I need to periodically quit DT3 and reopen or verify the databases or in some other way force DT3 to update the database file?

If I run my Mac continuously (as I use the DT3 server) and use both Time Machine and Arq for backups, are my databases regularly backed up?

Yes, as long as the databases are in a location being backed up.

Or do I need to periodically quit DT3 and reopen

No, this shouldn’t be necessary

or verify the databases

You should be doing a routine Verify & Repair on your databases regardless.

or in some other way force DT3 to update the database file?

I don’t know what you’re referring to here.

Thanks

Yes - I do the Verify/Repair about weekly - but wanted to be sure it is backed up ongoing through the day when Arq and Time Machine do their backups

The date stamp for last modified on the databases do not change except if I shut down or Verify the database - you are saying that Arq/Time Machine are nonetheless getting the most recent changes even though the date stamp of the database file does not reflect ongoing changes?

Though I am not running Arq here, Time Machine takes a snapshot of the system at the beginning of the backup, so it should back up things in their current state. I can’t tell you if TM is only using modification dates as deltas since the database size is also changing. But as @cgrunenberg points out, it’s not a bad idea to close DEVONthink for backups.

ok thanks - probably best to close them just to be sure

Isn’t this an issue for any software that runs full-time on a Mac using Time Machine? Is it possible that Apple just doesn’t think of their machines as servers in the same context that Windows very meticulously addresses this sort of issue and thus it is an unrecognized flaw in the backup routine of many Mac users?

As I understood earlier this issue only affects backups of encrypted databases that are written by TM to a network volume, not to local volumes:

Possible? I suppose so, however I don’t think it’s the case as many people use Time Machine without incident. I have never had an issue with it myself. The only issue I’ve ever had was with external drives finally getting old and dying - but that’s easily resolved by staying on top of hardware.

That is correct.

Would a TM backup of a sync store on a network drive be possible?

I’m not sure if I understand your phrasing.

You want to backup a local sync store to a networked drive?

Haha :slight_smile: The number of permutations for backup constructions is getting quite high. so I agree I should have explained it in more detail.

If TM has trouble backing up encrypted backups to a network volume, another workaround might be to backup a sync store of that encrypted database.

macOS — DT
|       |
TM      |
|       |
NAS (sync store)

If that works a user might safely exclude the encrypted database from TM. But perhaps TM doesn’t backup data on mounted network drives.

TM will back up to a mounted network drive, e.g., a Time Capsule, NAS volume, or even an external via AirDisk (though that is slow).

Almost there :slight_smile:

I mean it the other way around. Backup with TM using data originating from a network drive (i.e. containing the sync store data). But I wouldn’t be surprised if that isn’t possible with TM.

(Unless of course you’d setup another macOS device as a Mac server (which I think few people will do), somehow enable WebDAV and have DT on another device sync to that WebDAV server running there).

Thanks for that - both TimeMachine and Arq work with snapshots as far as I know. That is about the extent of my knowledge, however. The Arq-logs would suggest to me that the snapshots are created immediately prior to performing the backup - is that correct? I remain unsure whether that mitigates the problem of name changes during backup - the question being whether the snapshot remains static (I guess) or whether files renamed before their snapshot is backed up end up actually having their snapshot removed.

The act of renaming a file is equivalent to deleting one file and producing another. Initial experiments with both CCC (with SafetyNet on) and Arq (with “keep deleted files in subsequent snapshots” on) suggest that both programs keep the appropriate snapshots; TimeMachine I’m not yet so sure - I’ve come across different modification times which I cannot yet explain (e.g. snapshot 14:00 today shows database.dtSparse to have been last modified today at 11:00, but the snapshot at 15:00 shows the last modification today at 09:00). Any program which deletes backups (snapshots) of a file when that file is itself deleted would effectively not keep useful snapshots of databases if DT were regularly opened and closed. I don’t yet know whether this is a mere theoretical consideration (the programs with which I work seem to treat modification and deletion of a file in an identical fashion) or whether some backup systems (can be set to) work that way.

I’m going to reiterate what I said earlier on: I entrust DT with really important data - and secure it by using 4 different backup modes in addition to syncing across several devices. I was quite happy that I had a safe and secure backup set, but this change actually has me worried. Whilst I think it is always advisable to test backups by restoring and checking files, none of my routines to date would have detected files being deleted due to being renamed. I’d find it hard to fault a user who lost data because they hadn’t realised the potential consequences of an effectively hidden repeat name change.

I’d like to point out that my worries may be unfounded; I just can’t tell yet. There are certainly theoretical considerations which worry me - I cannot yet evaluate whether or not these considerations (can) translate to practical problems. @BLUEFROG was this question (“can repeat name changes influence backup strategies?”) something which DT looked into (I ask this without even a trace of malice - I’m looking for reassurance here), and if so, what were the results?

Might I ask what is the purpose of using an encrypted database if it’s constantly or mostly decrypted? Isn’t that device using whole disk encryption?

And can’t CCC create a versioned backup of a sync store on a mounted network drive? Alike my suggestion with TM that probably won’t work (easily).

I can’t answer your second question; it’s an interesting proposition, which I need to think about.

As for your first question: I’m paranoid. Yes, the disk is encrypted too. On a more serious note (no, really, the idea of losing clients’ data scares me), when I use Arq to back up an encrypted database the data never leaves my device in an unencrypted form (I assume this is a function of the snapshot made immediately before the backup - the snapshot is locked, ie encrypted). That means that whilst I also use encryption in Arq too, I don’t have to trust its AES implementation blindly; Arq never actually “sees” an unencrypted file. The same goes for backing up to Blu-ray.

(I’m not qualified to evaluate whether or not encryption has been properly implemented - which is why I love DT using a non-proprietary implementation; it seems reasonable to assume Apple’s implementation of encrypted sparseimages is safe, or at least industry standard, which is what I would be measured against if I lost data).

I have another unintended consequence: if you enter your password incorrectly 4 times (I think it’s 4), DT gives up on trying to open the database. Apparently the file is renamed as soon as an attempt is made to open it, but DT leaves the database called .sparseimage even if opening it is unsuccessful; as such my entry for that database in the favourites remains greyed out.

Is the sparse image also unmounted if you only use CCC (and Arq) for your backups and stop using TM? Or is it enough to exclude the directory containing the sparse image to keep using TM and have CCC and Arq backup the sparse image?

I was focussed on a ‘reverse‘ network solution yesterday and didn’t think through the idea of a local sync store, but this might also be something to consider.

If you create a local sync store and exclude the location of the sparse image, does TM still unmount the volume when it starts backing up? If it doesn’t, would the backup of the local sync store be sufficient?

I never had the problem that images unmounted, so I can’t answer that question. This is one of the reasons I see a setback - a problem has been solved for some, creating a different one for others. But I never noted anybody here suggesting that Arq or CCC were a problem, it was only TM (and I go along with Jim’s interpretation that waiting for Apple to solve that is likely to be futile).

If you create a local sync store and exclude the location of the sparse image, does TM still unmount the volume when it starts backing up?

If the location is excluded, there isn’t a problem. In fact, excluding the encrypted database was the previous workaround.

If it doesn’t, would the backup of the local sync store be sufficient?

Technically, it could be helpful in this case though we don’t advocate sync as a backup.

And this is a Time Machine-specific issue.