Automatic renaming of dtSparse to sparseimage and unintended consequences

I have another unintended consequence: if you enter your password incorrectly 4 times (I think it’s 4), DT gives up on trying to open the database. Apparently the file is renamed as soon as an attempt is made to open it, but DT leaves the database called .sparseimage even if opening it is unsuccessful; as such my entry for that database in the favourites remains greyed out.

Is the sparse image also unmounted if you only use CCC (and Arq) for your backups and stop using TM? Or is it enough to exclude the directory containing the sparse image to keep using TM and have CCC and Arq backup the sparse image?

I was focussed on a ‘reverse‘ network solution yesterday and didn’t think through the idea of a local sync store, but this might also be something to consider.

If you create a local sync store and exclude the location of the sparse image, does TM still unmount the volume when it starts backing up? If it doesn’t, would the backup of the local sync store be sufficient?

I never had the problem that images unmounted, so I can’t answer that question. This is one of the reasons I see a setback - a problem has been solved for some, creating a different one for others. But I never noted anybody here suggesting that Arq or CCC were a problem, it was only TM (and I go along with Jim’s interpretation that waiting for Apple to solve that is likely to be futile).

If you create a local sync store and exclude the location of the sparse image, does TM still unmount the volume when it starts backing up?

If the location is excluded, there isn’t a problem. In fact, excluding the encrypted database was the previous workaround.

If it doesn’t, would the backup of the local sync store be sufficient?

Technically, it could be helpful in this case though we don’t advocate sync as a backup.

And this is a Time Machine-specific issue.

I have another unintended consequence: if you enter your password incorrectly 4 times (I think it’s 4), DT gives up on trying to open the database. Apparently the file is renamed as soon as an attempt is made to open it, but DT leaves the database called .sparseimage even if opening it is unsuccessful; as such my entry for that database in the favourites remains greyed out.

Confirmed.

@cgrunenberg will have to look into this. Thanks!

I’m not sure I see how this issue, especially in terms of Arq backups, appears resolved in this thread.

Doesn’t the comment by @Blanc about Arq not backing up what it sees as a different file remain?

I use Arq but not Time Machine.

Should I perhaps add a preflight script to my nightly Arq backup to close DT3 if it’s running, along the lines of:

#!/bin/bash
SERVICE='DEVONthink 3'
if ps ax | grep -v grep | grep "${SERVICE}" &> /dev/null; then
osascript -e 'quit app "DEVONthink 3"'
fi

(I realise this is no good for those who want DT3 to be running all the time, or to those who want Arq running at various times whilst DT3 would be open.)

But maybe I’ve misunderstood the logic here.

Doesn’t the comment by @Blanc about Arq not backing up what it sees as a different file remain?

Yes, it appears to be but I cannot speak for Development on the matter.

Did you actually experience this? Because DEVONthink should automatically rename them again on startup if that’s the case.

Especially in case of encrypted databases I would highly recommend to back up only closed databases, otherwise the backup might be corrupted.

Yes - the same with an incorrect password entered 4 times, or cancelling the password entry window.

This is indeed a bug but I can’t reproduce this after a crash or using force quit, DEVONthink 3 automatically renames the file on startup.

The next release will fix this.

1 Like

Adding in here as it seems most appropriate … Long time user but stepping up my use of DT. Upgraded to DT3 Pro and created 2 new encrypted databases. Both have been created as .sparseimage

These have been created on my nas drive where old my previous databases exist. Now having to mount the image then open database … From reading the above it seems the recommendation is to simply rename to .dtsparse ? Is this correct?

It appears things are working well for you, but the DEVONthink Manual (3.6.1) page 11 recommends putting databases in a subfolder of the local home folder.

Just so you know.

Thanks, aware of that, hasn’t given me any issues in past 5+ years though