Automatically add new items to DT

As I create documents in a variety of applications (not DT), I save them in a folder.

I would like DT to be able to monitor the contents of that folder and “automatically” add new documents to it’s database.

Not sure if this would help others – just thought I’d log the idea for possible consideration.

Scott

Just have a look at the "Action Script" - this folder action should be able to do what you want.

I’m sorry to say that I haven’t been able to make this work. I’m not overly familiar with Applescript (yet) and I was unable to follow the instructions in the Action script you suggested.

Is there a "step by step" instruction somewhere?

Thanks very much for your help and your great program.

Scott

I had never used AppleScripts before so I struggled with this but I think I got it figured out. Thought I’d pass this along to others in case they needed similar help.

To use the Action Import Script from DEVONthink, I followed these steps.

If ScriptMenu is not already installed, install Script Menu by dragging the ScriptMenu.menu icon, located in the AppleScript folder in the Applications folder, to the menu bar at the top right of your screen and let go.  

Turn on Folder Actions by selecting the Enable Folder Actions menu item from the Folder Actions sub-menu in the Script Menu.

Copy or Move Action Import.scpt (from DEVONthink) to either the Folder Action Scripts folder in the Scripts folder in the Library folder, or the Folder Action Scripts folder in the Scripts folder in the Library folder of your Home directory.

Alternately, copy (or move) Action Import.scpt (from DEVONThink) to Applications > Applescript > Example Scripts > Folder Action Scripts

Finally, select the Attach Folder Action menu item from the Folder Actions sub-menu in the Script Menu . You will be prompted to choose the Folder Action to apply and the folder which will be targeted by the Folder Action.

This should also help:

apple.com/applescript/folder_actions/