Back button inactive when viewing RTF files

SETUP

• Create a test group with 4 files, two markdown, two rtf.
  • ToolsCreate Table of Contents

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

• Click on the ToC

• Click on the markdown 1 link

I personally find it weird that the Table of Contents would remain selected in the Items list, but I get that this is just currently How It’s Done™.

• Press ⌘[. As expected, and as described by @pete31, the Edit Pane goes back to the ToC.

Note that the ToC is no longer highlighted in blue because focus is in the Edit Pane (hence the cursor). Nothing amiss here…just noting details.

• Click the rtf 1 link

Still would prefer the Items list to track this navigation change, but again, that’s not the bug here, so…moving on. :grin:

• Press ⌘[
    → Expected: the View/Edit Pane goes back to the Table of Contents
    → Actual: Nothing but a >thunk!< sound. We can confirm this by looking in the Go menu, where Back is grayed out.

In order to verify that the difference is caused by the file type issue, let’s continue…

• Click on Table of Contents in the Items list.

Oops!
    → Expected: ToC displays in the View/Edit Pane
    → Actual: Items list gets focus, but View/Edit Pane doesn’t register the selection intent whatsoever. But…that’s a different bug, so let’s move on. :wink:

• Click on the test group, then back on Table of Contents to get the ToC back

• Click the markdown 2 link

• Press ⌘[

• Click the rtf 2 link

• Press ⌘[
    → Expected: Again, expecting the View/Edit Pane to go back to the Table of Contents
    → Actual: Again, nothing but >thunk!<

II did all steps several times but can’t confirm what you’re seeing.

My menu is not grayed out and I hear no >thunk!< sound.

Instead it’s even worse: going back via menu when a RTF record is displayed reproducibly switches databases over here. Only happens when RTF is displayed.

I noticed something else: When I started to try your steps I missed that you were in the database’s root. I tried it with the TOCs parent group being the window’s root. And there’s a different behaviour: If the group is the window’s root then going back takes me to the database’s root and the selection jumps to the TOCs parent group. This is reproducible too.

I then tried it with nested groups but result is the same: if RTF is displayed it goes “on level up”. Don’t know if this makes sense or is possible but to me it looks like this: if I’m already in the database’s root then the next level is another database. If there’s still “room” it just goes one group level up. Weird

:flushed:

@BLUEFROG has this been noted? It’s reproducible and probably a bug

Going back via the path bar and the navigation bar are completely independent, e.g. the navigation bar can be used to navigate after browsing the web. The commands Go > Back/Forward and their shortcuts use the navigation bar if the document has the focus, otherwise the path bar.

The “back” menu yields different results depending on the record type. Is this intended?

Hard to tell without knowing which back action is actually performed as it depends on the focus. Are you able to reproduce it by using only the path or navigation bar instead of shortcuts?

No that seems to be fine. But after a link to RTF is clicked going back via menu “back” does not behave as if a link to a markdown record were clicked. Perhaps it’s designed this way

But going back via the navigation bar works as expected? Is the Markdown document shown in preview or edit mode or side-by-side?

Yes that’s ok. Markdown in preview mode. Seems the RTF doesn’t have the focus after clicking the link, but the list view also doesn’t have focus.

The navigation handling of the document view is only used if it has the focus, in all other cases the navigation handling of the main view (e.g. list view) is used (even if it doesn’t have the focus).

For me this is no problem at all, its @clozach thread :slight_smile:
Just thought it’s a bit strange that different record types are not treated in the same way

Thanks for confirming, @pete31. :slightly_smiling_face:

I tried to be as precise as possible in my report, so it should be trivial to reproduce using a couple of test files; Do you still have questions about this, @cgrunenberg?

A report using the back/forward buttons of the path/navigation bar instead of the shortcut would be useful as the shortcut depends on the focus.