Backup & Optimize makes database unwriteable

When I Verify & Repair I get 0 inconsistencies, 0 incorrect checksums, 4 missing files and 0 orphaned files. The database continues to function.

When I Backup & Optimize, the optimization dialogue flashes on briefly and then a crossed out/slashed out pen/pencil icon appears beside the database title in the sidebar. Then the database ceases to function, that is, I cannot write to an item or create a new item. (items can be selected and displayed however).

I’ve never had a problem with Devonthink remotely close to this. Ideas on a solution? (Will rebuild if necessary but only if I must as that’s a lengthy process and I’m concerned will not have all the same info as before.) Can someone put my concerns to rest and confirm a solution? Thanks for your help!

I had a similar situation, and I believe the crossed out pencil icon means you don’t have the correct permissions on the database. If you have admin privileges, close your database, and fix the permissions on the Get Info panel. That did the trick for me.

Thanks for the information. I did have a permissions problem. My backup folder had read only privileges. Fixed that (and checked for read/write privileges on all folders within the database package and the database icon iteself). But the original problem remains. Backup & Optimize continues to make the database unwriteable (and Create Spotlight is grayed out under Database Properties). This is happening for 2 databases on my home drive. Other Devonthink databases on my home drive seem to function normally.

After a rebuild, my problem database now seems to have TWO sets of folders. Is this normal after a rebuild, and how do I know which set is the rebuilt set and which is the old set? I thought the rebuild would result in a entirely separate, new database duplicating the old database, but without any corruption issues.

Note: The second database having the problem did NOT appear to have a permissions problem.

To fix the permissions, I’d suggest to quit DEVONthink, select the database in the Finder and to remove the extension .dtBase2.

Now the Finder handles it like a folder: Open the Info panel, choose the right permissions and apply them to all enclosing items using the action menu.

Finally, add the .dtBase2 extension again and launch DEVONthink. Did this fix the problem?

Whew! That worked!! Thank you!!!

HOWEVER, I still had 2 sets of folders (from the rebuild) in my database. I deleted the copies of the folders that seemed to be the rebuild (as many of the rebuilt folders had files that did not import and so had lower item counts off to the side). Is that the way a rebuild is suppose to work? I thought a separate database was created on a rebuild.

Thanks for your advice on the permissions though. It saved my bacon! :mrgreen:

Only the index/concordance/metadata storage are rebuild but the files (located inside the Files.noindex folder) aren’t touched.

Unless I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying, that doesn’t seem to jive with the way Devonthink Help describes a database rebuild. From Devonthink’s Help…

Rebuild Database: Completely rebuild the database by automatically exporting all items to a temporary folder in the file system, creating an empty database, and reimporting all items. This removes any structural problems. Depending on the size of your database, this can take from a few seconds to several hours. You may lose some metadata such as manual sorting.”

Christian is the architect of DEVONthink. :slight_smile:

Originally, as described in Help, the Rebuild operation was analogous to a complete export of all content to a Finder folder, creation of a new database and then reimport of the content to that new database. This, by the way, is still an alternative to using Tools > Rebuild Databasse, although the Rebuild procedure now is somewhat quicker.

Whenever performing Rebuild (or the alternative export/import procedure), it’s a good idea to examine the Log (Window > Log) to check for documents that may have failed the operation and so are not contained in the rebuilt database. The list (if any) in the Log can be saved to the Finder as a reference of any missing files.

So that implies, as devamag noticed, the Help is outdated relative to v2?