backups

Regarding backups…

When I go to copy the dbase file in the finder - I get an error that a database cannot be copied (even when I’m not running DVPro). Is there an issue with just copying the dbase files over to a firewire disk?

In the preferences, tools area - I cannot select a backup location.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

Thanks…

First, never copy an open database, as that can introduce errors.

The only reason I can think of for getting an error message that a database cannot be copied would be insufficient disk space on the receiving medium.

The backup location setting in DT Pro Preferences is not currently active and may be used in a future version.

But I strongly recommend that you do make external backups whenever significant changes have been made to the database.

Use DT Pro’s Scripts > Export > Backup Archive, which is very easy to initiate when you are about to take a break. Select Backup Archive, choose the location for the external backup archive and the smallest possible compressed and dated archive will be saved. And Verify & Repair and Backup & Optimize will also have been run.

Result: you now have current internal and external backups, a quality check has been run, and the database has been optimized.

Those are all Very Good Things. :slight_smile:

in the scripts included with the image file either.

what scripts need to be installed, please?

Thank you.

maybe RTFM, eh?

Okay… I have this down now. Maybe I’ll sleep better.

Thanks for pointing this out.