Bates Numbering Placeholder in Devonthink 3 not restarting the count

@BLUEFROG DT3 is an awesome product. I literally use it everyday. I am more than happy to contribute to making it even better than it already is. Let me know if you think of any other questions that might help.

Best,
James

Thanks for the kind words and offer. It’s always good for us to get differing perspectives on how people use our applications.

You’re welcome.

One more thing. In the example I gave above where a massive class action might have millions of pages of documents. They will often actually break it up into multiple smaller batches with different prefixes and restart the numbering. It is for the same reason that I gave when I was referring to an attorney reading a BN to 20 people at trial. It is much easier to reference ACTIONNAME-EMAILS-000150 than it is to reference ACTIONNAME-9853213456.

might have millions of pages of documents.

That’s just crazy talk!! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

And thanks for the clarification there.

Ideally, there would be a way to either reset Bates numbering, have different sequences per database or per Group, and/or have multiple placeholders (Bates Number 1, Bates Number 2, Bates Number 3).

In a small case, there may not be a need to reset but in medium to large cases, there will almost always be a need to restart numbering with a different prefix for a different type of production. Additionally, you need to reset for different cases; and you may need to reset if there was an error.

I think the best solution would be to have separate placeholders per databases; and multiple placeholders: instead of just “Bates Number” having Bates Number 1, Bates Number 2 . . . Bates Number 10.

Thanks much!

See…

1 Like

Hi, the bates numbering placeholder is useful but I need to reset bates numbering to 1 when doing numbering of documents in different databases. This script is not achieving that for me. Is there a solution? Thank you. J

This was a workaround, not something built-in.
Development would have to respond to how the number is being internally stored now.

Just want to add that I also am interested in being in control of the Bates Stamp starting number. I am a lawyer.
With regards to the lawyers who did not think that the feature was “useless” unless the number could be restarted, I do not know what they could use it for.
The script that added the number “1” to the bates stamp plist file did not restart the numbering for me.

We might add such a possibility to an upcoming release.

I’m glad you said that - I was trying to imagine an amazing cold-blooded scaly kangaroo fighting Bates :see_no_evil:

Actually this will be scriptable so that the number can be both reset or set to a preferred start number.

With a property for the number of prefixing zeros or specified, e.g., 0001 ?

No.

I closed DT3 and changed the number in the plist file manually…that worked for me

Welcome @k0nst1n

There is no need to edit the plist file manually.

tell application id "DNtp"
	bates number
	--> 854
	set bates number to 1
	bates number
	--> 1
end tell
2 Likes

thanks, I will try that!

I wonder what could be the reason for missing bates numbers. My production instance of DT3 leaves out every 2 bates numbers (19 → 23 → 26 → 29 …). I noticed this happens in my ‘lab-DT3’ when I add one pdf multiple times. But here DT3 leaves out only 1 bate number (19->21->23 …).

Edit:
apparently it is due to the total number of pages in the pdf documents. The bates numbers count all pages. Is there a way to count only the documents, not the pages?

That’s not possible as it’s intended currently so that each PDF page can be imprinted with its own number.

What are you doing with the Bates number - imprinting the first page in a document?

Hi BLUEFROG,
exactly!
The office manager prints out and stamps all invoices with an oldschool hand bates number stamp (the first page), then she scans them and drops them into Devonthink. Some invoices have more than one page. She wants to get this (inefficient) process done with Devonthink!