I’m still a relative neophyte, but I use DEVONagent’s Search Sets. Get to it via Window>Search Sets. You could create a plugin for each of the scholarly databases you want to access, then create a Search Set that uses each of those along with your university library and Google Scholar. Then, make the Search Set run every night (or otherwise consistently), and tell DA to save the results to DT or into an archive.
The most important thing I’ve figured out is that you need to know where to look and what you want to find before you use a Search Set. So, form your research question outside of DA, and then create the Search Set so that you find exactly what you’re looking for.
For one of mine, let’s call it Valcour Overview, I built a Sites list of about 20 sites to crawl or search, and I specified one plugin: Google PDF. If I had access to more of the sites that have plugins (like JSTOR or other paywall sites for which I could create plugins), I’d add those too.
I compiled my list of sites manually based on subject matter & places where I’ve found articles before, and I played with a few search strings to see what worked best (in terms of more than 0 hits and less than 500). The search runs every night, and it saves the results in a Resource format to a DT3 folder.
Boolean searching is where DA really shines, IMO.
This is my search string for this particular search set.
(Valcour NEAR/3 Island) AND ~revolution OPT (Ticonderoga OR Buttonmould OR Arnold OR Champlain OR Trumbull OR boat OR “Noah Hall”)
I have a different search set for a more specific search on the same Valcour subject.
I’m sure there’s an even more efficient way, but this is something that can get you started thinking.