Best way to catalog photos of artworks?

Too bad Microsoft never brought their Access to the Mac.The best thing they ever created, IMHO.

I run Access on my Mac frequently (with Windows and Access, of course in VMWare). Agree, it’s a great product and would be good for this use. Also easy to migrate the data half to a database server (MySQL, etc.) keeping the front end (forms, reports, queries) in Access. Nothing else like it far as I know.

Don’t get me started on Panorama. I bought the version before, entered a lot of data, never got it really working because of their very un-Mac-like UI, and then I was cut off by upgrading the macOS, after which the program didn’t work anymore. Never again.

1 Like

A very interesting discussion of databases – thanks, folks. I had no idea Access was a good product. I have stuck with FileMaker and upgraded as infrequently as possible.

I built a small FMP solution for an artist friend and was surprised at the number of fields required: acrylic on board, drawing on paper of type Xxxx, pastel of type Yyyyy (he’s rather versatile!), signed or not, previously exhibited at, current owner, price when sold, size, framing details. The list of things to track and sort seemed endless, and I reckon this was very much a job for a database.

I rate FMP’s text-handling capabilities quite highly, to the point where I’ve often used it for repetitive writing tasks.

Good luck @rfbriggs, and let us know what you decide.

Airtable is a cloud based database that is pretty easy to use. There’s an Art gallery management template that may be helpful to start

1 Like

Just as a sidenote, surely there are standard Dublin Core metadata schema that the art world uses. I only can speak for libraries/book world, but using field-standard metadata will save someone a lot of hassle in the future.