Blank database on syncing

I seem to have lost a database. An important one with all my work documents on.

My main machine is my iMac. I dont usually look at this database on my iPad but had reason to do so so download the database to the iPad. I sync via iCloud.

Somehow during this process the database has been deleted, and then that empty database has synced back to the iMac !. How can I recover from this ?

Do you have any Time Machine or other backups? And did you use the latest version 2.7.1 of DEVONthink To Go on the iPad? The last time we had to fix a rare bug that could cause this was at least 2 years ago.

Rather embarrassingly… I have to admit…that I split the database a few weeks ago into three different databases leaving an empty original work database.

I had forgotten I had done it !

Sorry…the sync worked perfectly…it was just me forgetting !

It does raise a point that i have come to rely on the iCloud sync and actually don’t have a backup. Maybe I should do that.

The sync and especially iCloud are not recommended as the only backup. Ideally there should be both local and remote backups (the more of them the better)

The stone that fell from the heart was heard all the way to here. :slight_smile:

It does raise a point that i have come to rely on the iCloud sync and actually don’t have a backup. Maybe I should do that.

Absolutely!!
Note that our sync is not a backup, neither advertised nor advocated as such.

Please read our three part series of blog posts on backups:

To quote the first post (emphasis added)…

If there’s one difficult question to ask in Support, it’s: “Do you have current local backups of your DEVONthink databases?” Too often, the answer is, “No” or “I’ve been thinking about starting backups, but I need to restore my data now!” This is a heartbreaking response to hear, and one we want to hear less and less.