Bookmarks possibility

Hello, I’ve been using Devonthink for about 3 weeks and I love it already but haven’t found a way to bookmark my pdf when reading. I know I can do annotations, paste link etc. but that’s too heavy for this purpose. I need something simple and fast. What is the best practice?

My use case is that I read math books where on page X often they refer to a formula/theorem which can be 100 pages back on page Y and I need to quickly jump back and forth between those two pages. Bookmarking page Y would help. I basically need just, say, up to 5 bookmarks to do a smooth reading.

There’s no “bookmark pdf page” feature in DEVONthink.

You could use this script. It creates a bookmark record in the current group. To open a pdf to the bookmarked page use the “Open URL” command.

-- Create bookmark to current PDF page

-- To open a PDF to the bookmarked page use "Open URL"

property revealRecord : true

tell application id "DNtp"
	try
		if not (exists think window 1) then return

set theRecord to content record of think window 1
		if theRecord = missing value then return

set theRecord_Type to (type of theRecord) as string
		if theRecord_Type is in {"PDF document", "«constant ****pdf »"} then
			set theRecord_ReferenceURL to reference URL of theRecord
			set theCurrentPage to (current page of think window 1)
			set theRecord_ReferenceURL_withPage to theRecord_ReferenceURL & "?page=" & theCurrentPage & "&?reveal=1"
			if revealRecord then
				set theRecord_ReferenceURL_withPage to theRecord_ReferenceURL_withPage & "&?reveal=1"
			end if
			set theBookmark_Name to (name without extension of theRecord) & " - Page " & (theCurrentPage + 1)
			set theBookmark to create record with {name:theBookmark_Name, type:bookmark, URL:theRecord_ReferenceURL_withPage} in current group
		end if

on error error_message number error_number
		if the error_number is not -128 then display alert "DEVONthink" message error_message as warning
		return
	end try
end tell
1 Like

Thankyou again, @pete31. Another very useful script. The lack of bookmarking has been one of the few remaining functions that have kept me wedded to Acrobat DC. :smiley:

1 Like

You might want to look at this app: https://highlightsapp.net/

I use the “low-techinology-tool” of annotate the current page in a OneNote note, as I use to manage the same PDF in Windows, macOS, iPadOs and Android.

but my problem isn’t in annotations. I need bookmarks to quickly jump back and forth in text.

1 Like

Oh, now I understand.