boolean search

I’m new to Devonthink. I’ve tried, and assume boolean searches don’t work. Will they in the future?

Thanks,

Brent

Boolean searches involve three logical operators, AND, OR and NOT.

DEVONthink searches have two of the three Boolean operators, but not NOT. However, one can easily emulate the NOT operator by doing a two-level search. That is, select a set of search results and replicate them to a new group, then search using another term.

DEVONagent has extremely powerful logical operators – well beyond the traditional Boolean operators – and a powerful syntax. A future major upgrade of the DEVONthink applications will have the power of DEVONagent searches. So one will be able to handle multiple phrases together with other terms in the query, BEFORE/n, AFTER/n, NEAR/n and, of course, AND, OR and NOT – and a syntax that allows parsing of complex queries.

I remember Bill (or Eric, can’t recall) posting a while back about the next version having DA-like search features, and I have to say I will leaping over my couch when it arrives. For me, it is perhaps the most anticipated feature of the next version :slight_smile:

Want to learn more about Boolean Operators and DTPO. Is there any updates or good links to the best search operators in DTPO - I have version 2.8.10.

I use to search in this forum but this thread seems to be older. Any updates or tips available on DT´s homepage, newsletters or links?

[i]Boolean searches involve three logical operators, AND, OR and NOT.

DEVONthink searches have two of the three Boolean operators, but not NOT. However, one can easily emulate the NOT operator by doing a two-level search. That is, select a set of search results and replicate them to a new group, then search using another term. [/i]

DTPO does have a NOT operator now. Check out page 146 of the manual.

Wonder if you guys are sitting waiting for our questions 24/7!

Thanks that means that the manual is still updated for 2.8.10 - perfect. :stuck_out_tongue: