Can a photo be sent to DEVONthink to Go 3 via the share sheet using a Shortcut?

Trying to use the system share sheet in iOS 14.5 (public beta 3) to send a photo of a receipt to a specific database/group in DEVONthink.

The DEVONthink shortcut action lists “file”, “text document”, “bookmark”, “Markdown document”, and “group” as options. It seems I’m beating my head against the wall hoping that a photo will be treated as a “file”.

Can anyone confirm?

Yep: file. I’ve just checked and it works.

But don’t forget to also flow the input of the shortcut into the Create Item action.

Addition: depending on your purpose with the file, you might also add an action to change the photo into a PDF first and subsequently flow that into the Create Item action. If the receipt needs to be forwarded to an accountant for example, a PDF is probably more suitable than some random iOS photo format. The PDF also appears to be much smaller in file size.

Personally I would add some input action to ask for the title or choose it from a list and append the current date as well.

Come to think of it, it’s a great idea to build a receipt scanner in Shortcuts :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll continue fiddling. :sunglasses::+1:

Check out the blog post from last week…

Last paragraph.

1 Like

There you go! Missed that one :smiley:

What I find somewhat illogical though, is that the input for the Create Item action doesn’t seem to automatically flow from the share sheet output or another preceding action and requires a user to actively click the > button to add some input as a file in one of the the fields underneath.

But to be honest I don’t always like the way Shortcuts handles such things either, as it often tries to guess what input is required and once in a while makes a wrong choice if the shortcut gets complex.

I also happened to notice that the Update Item Metadata action has a very different layout compared to the metafata fields in the Create Item action. Is that for a reason?

Not sure, as I didn’t create the actions, but it’s possible they were created on different days and it’s an oversight.