Can DTPO on my Mac and DTTG on my iPad be open at same time?

Hi All

Apologies if this has been answered. I would like the know if I need to close a database on my Mac before I open it on my iPad and vice-versa? When using Scrivener one needs to close a project on one device before opening on another to avoid sync problems. I’d like to know if that’s the case with Devonthink.

Many thanks

Christian

No, as DEVONthink To Go 2 has it’s own local copy of the database. It is NOT sharing the same file.

And just to make certain you’re not heading into data-safety problems: You should never put your databases in any cloud-synced folder (including the Documents or Desktop folders if you are using the disk management feature in macOS 10.12 Sierra). ​Never. If you have, you ​must ​relocate them immediately or you could irreparably damage them. The safest location is a folder in your Home Directory, like ​~/Databases​. If you have them in an unsafe locations, quit DEVONthink and move your databases to a new folder in your Home directory.

Many thanks for reply. DTPO is NOT in a cloud based sync folder. I promise! All of my databases reside locally in folders in My Documents. I am syncing via the sync features within DTPO using the sync store. I have gone to preferences and set this up in Box in instead of Dropbox b/c my university gives us a free 1TB account.

Thanks again!

Christian

Got a bit confused.

I am bringing my iPad out all day long and are making changes, additions and delete documents in DTTG 2.0.

When home I continue on my Mac and make changes in my DTPO.

Before I go to bed I am back on my iPad and then I normally sync once a day.

I suppose I am able to work with both units and then in the end of the day, it match them together meaning updating the database on my Mac using both changes I made on my iPad and Mac and then it copies all changes over to my iPad? Thats how I think it works at least!

@Basil: That’s definitely how it works. :smiley:

Fantastic! Then my app is working as it should :wink:

Basil,

The scenario you outline is what I would like to. Scrivener recommends (requires?) that a project not be open at the same time on two different devices or sync conflicts can arise. So, I wanted to know if I needed to close a given database on my Mac before opening it on my iPad and vice-versa.

Best wishes,

Christian