Can I improve my process for turning data into information?

Not my experience. Indexing is extremely reliable – I have folders that have been indexed in databases for years without issues. No time now to point to all the how-to posts about indexing – I’ll come back here and try to do that when there’s time – but look @Greg_Jones posts / tips on indexed folders. They are spot-on.

Thank you for your post. I will make a note and try and find the posts you are referring to. Will appreciate greatly if you can point to people who have shared their successful navigation of this connundrum of Finder vs DTPO, and for which content, and how to index effectively etc.

The trick with indexing for me is running the script to have DEVONthink update the index for all databases.

I use a Keyboard Maestro macro to run that when DEVONthink is running and the Mac is idle.

If you don’t run that script then the Verify & Repair tool will report problems. I find this helpful for indexing shared areas like my Google Drive, Dropbox, iCloud Drive, and Box where I want to be able to search the documents others have shared or I stored in random places based on the device I was on at the time. For example, I can go into DT or DT2G and search for “Webelos Weekend” and the results I get back will show me emails for planning the event in years past along with related fliers and expense reports that were saved to the Google drive.

2 Likes