Can I put text into tags through annotations?

I would love to be able to work with some kind of tagging system in DT. I understand such a system does not exist, and I wonder if some kind of workaround is possible:

What I want to do is to annotate text in a pdf-file. This annotation should be assigned to a tag, for example ‘Purpose’. Another annotation should be assigned to for example ‘Result’. Then I would like to search across multiple pdf-files for all annotated text assigned to ‘Result’

Is that possible somehow?

Annotations are only part of the document but not an item of the database and therefore can’t be tagged.

The only workaround is probably to add the desired “tag” to e.g. the annotation’s details (see Document > Annotations inspector) and then to search for this text. Ideally the “tags” would be unique strings to avoid undesired search results.

@mjannesh: If you see other apps using tags like @tag, this situation is where the syntax originated. When there were no tagging standards, people started prefixing tags with @ so it would help them avoid matching words in the content of their files. This is no longer needed for normal tagging as they are recognized as separate attributes. But in your situation, this could still be a useful thing.

And though they won’t be automatically converted to DEVONthink tags, you can use hashtags in the annotation’s text or details as well, e.g., #hashtags_for_searching :slight_smile:

Making a #This_is_a_tag might work. But I also want to attach text to the tags. I understand that I will be able to search for #This_is_a_tag, like #Cats – ‘Cats like fish and milk’. Can I somehow make this work?

Oh - my bad. Annotations are of course part of the document. I wonder: would I be able to search for annotations of a specific colour?

#Cats – ‘Cats like fish and milk’. Can I somehow make this work?

In an annotation, it doesn’t matter as the hashtags aren’t processed into DT tags.

would I be able to search for annotations of a specific colour?

No, this is not a feature at this time. However, you can sort on the Type column and individual highlight colors will be shown together.