Can I share databases between versions 2 and 3?

I have a machine running DT Pro V2 and want to share a couple databases with two other machines running DT V3. Is that possible?

This question has been asked before. More details might be found with a search but, at minimum, my understanding is that custom metadata created in v3 will get lost if the document is edited in v2.

Thank you for taking the time to answer @JoePreiser. Apologies for asking a duplicate question.

I am not sure I understand the implications of that custom metadata you speak of. My particular use case here is more of a media library situation. I have a recording studio and use DT as a way to organize my logic sessions and sync them between said studios computer and my home computer. My studio computer would be running V2 and my home computer would be running V3 in this scenario. My primary concern is that the underlying sessions will get corrupted or lost. Obviously I back everything up regularly but I want to make sure that I am not at risk of file corruption if I upgrade only the home machine.

My primary concern is that the underlying sessions will get corrupted or lost. Obviously I back everything up regularly but I want to make sure that I am not at risk of file corruption if I upgrade only the home machine.

Running betas is not advocated in production or mission-critical environments. If you want to play it the safest, don’t mix it up. If you want to test DEVONthink 3, remembering it is a beta test*, it’s a good idea to create a separate macOS User Account and use test or copies of data for testing.

@BLUEFROG Noted but it still does not answer the question. Once this product is out of beta, will it be safe to mix versions?

1 Like

+1 This would be good to know. I’ve only used the server a couple times in a decade, but it’d be nice to keep V2 around in case I needed it again for a one off sharing situation.

The best I can say is that there is a chance of data (metadata) loss if a document has had custom metadata added in DT3, synced to a DT2 machine, and then the document is updated in DT2.

If you only have 2 machines in the mix, the base license includes 2 seats so you would be able to upgrade both the home and studio machines without purchasing an additional seat.

Unfortunately, I have 3 machines. Personal, work, and this studio specific one. Kind of a bummer that I’d have to pay for another seat plus the cost of upgrade. I’m a one man show and I just invested hundreds of dollars in this platform less than 6 months ago when I jumped ship from Evernote. To have to pay another $200 for this upgrade ($99 for upgrade + $99 for the extra seat) is… well I am not happy.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to answer @JoePreiser