“Can’t create database folder, path exists already”

Jim, I’ve got the email ready to go, but it doesn’t have anything in the “To” field. I tried again and it didn’t work again. I wonder if it’s because I’m using Airmail rather than Apple Mail. Anyway, how should I address this email?

Bob

Hmmm, I’ve replied twice, but neither is showing up in the thread, even after I delete caches. FWIW, I’m trying again…

Jim, I’ve done this but there is nothing in the “To” field in the email. I wonder if this is because I’m using Airmail rather than Apple Mail? Anyway, to whom do I send this?

Bob

Airmail is a bad choice for inter-application communication. (So are the other new apps in this space.) Apple Mail is the best of breed for this kind of thing.

I have always just synced a single database to DEVONthink To Go. Today I have tried to add a second database to iCloud sync, upon which I started encountering the error mentioned in this thread.

I then deleted the DEVONthink To Go data from iCloud (as suggested) and I have also deleted the app and its data from my iPhone. I re-synchronised both databases (+ inbox) to iCloud from DEVONthink 3 on my Mac.

Now, when I try to add iCloud as a “location” on a newly-installed copy of DEVONthink To Go on my iPhone, I only see the Global Inbox and not the other two databases. If I click the “rescan” circular arrow, I see a bezel in the background with the error message The file “DEVONthink” couldn’t be opened. (See attached image.)

Well! It appears the problem disappeared after I simply rebooted my iPhone! I didn’t expect that to work!

(Global Inbox is already synced, and the other two are now in the process of doing so…)

Apologies for the false alarm.

Hi Jim,

This doesn’t do the trick for me. The “can´t create database folder, path exists already” still appears.
Could you please give me further instructions?

Unfortunately, we have no control over this.

• Is this a new installation?
  • If not, was DEVONthink To Go previously synced?

Hi Jim,

The “can´t create database folder, path exists already” issue, seems to have been resolved.
However, there is still another sync issue. I opened a case number, so I will provide further information to you directly.

Thanks!

What is the solution for ‘path exists already’ issue on Catalina? I thought I was good to go but now my databases are not synching with the iPad (where I got this message)

Due to an issue of the current versions the actual error might not be logged and this message is logged instead. Therefore it’s hard to figure out what failed. The next maintenance releases will fix this.

Hi, I was setting up a new device today and monkeying around with the settings for syncing. Everything is now working perfectly–all devices are syncing–but every two minutes the log pops up with the “can’t create database folder, path exists already” for two of my three databases.
At some point when I was setting things up, I clicked on “clean location.” Maybe that’s what’s prompting the error messages?
At any rate, all I’m looking for is a way to stop the error messages AND keep everything working like it is right now.
I appreciate any help.
Amy

In DEVONthink’s Preferences > Sync, select the sync location, Control-click on of the databases in the log, and choose Clean Database. Repeat this with the second database.
After the cleanings have been successfully reported in Window > Log, enable syncing them again.

Looks like that took care of it. Thanks very much.

You’re very welcome :slight_smile: