Can’t find databases after crash

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is likely to make proving to me that your databases are lost rather difficult - well, for any typical definition of the term in relation to data, that is.

1 Like

Thank you for your advice. They are now there.

Sorry for overreacting but this was first time experiencing something like this. It is really unconfortable to be confronted with something like this knowing that I am not a super user but only a regular one, not having one milion of databases and scripts being used…

Can you assume what caused this behaviour from Devonthink3? I want to prevent it and I really want to assure that the product is 100% correct and ,clear´´.

1 Like

That’s alright :slight_smile: Milos, do you have a comprehensive backup strategy? If not, please take this shock as a trigger to make sure your data is backed up (remembering that sync is not backup). The more valuable it is, the better your backup strategy should be.

I can’t guess what caused the crash for you today; what is apparent is that actually everything then worked as it should - DT still worked, it protected itself by not automatically reopening the databases, it recognised that the databases were not properly closed, and it will have verified them when you selected “Fortfahren”. You said that you had opened a support ticket - if the logs were attached, then DEVONtech may look into any cause of the crash. Certainly if this experience repeats itself, you should assume DT may be responsible and report using Help > Report Bug (press the Option key to see that menu entry).

Reports of crashes are really pretty rare here in the forum; I trust DT with both my personal and professional digital life. I would not do so if I were worried about the quality of the product.

3 Likes

A good backup strategy is always recommended, not only in case of DEVONthink. Basically every component of a computer might (and some day will) fail. No matter whether hardware, firmware or software. Not to mention things like malware, user mistakes and events like power outages or fire etc.

Thank you for your fast response and reaction regarding this issue.

About the mentioned back-up strategie: I am backing up all my files to the iCloud. Do you think that this is an appropriate one? Would you have any suggestions regaring this?

1 Like

Yes! I have learned it on easier way, it could have been a lot worse than it was the case with my crash today.

I posted my backup strategy in the post Iinked; I would assume a backup to a single location to be insufficient (briefly: I use TimeMachine to one set of external disks, CCC to a second set, Arq to cloud storage, WORM-media stored offsite and sync DT between several devices).

Backup to iCloud is manual, presumably? Or are you using a backup program? Or do you mean you are syncing DT via iCloud? Sync is not backup (imagine, for example, you inadvertently delete 200 files - that deletion will immediately sync to your other devices, your files are lost; the same goes for malware and data corruption. That notwithstanding, of course the sync store may be used to restore data if, for example, you lost your devices in a fire or flood, and attached a new device to the old sync store.)

1 Like

Well, apparently I am syncing data on cloud but i am not sure if i am backing it up.

Could you tell me if this means that my files are also backed up? (please see screeenshot).

I would take my time ang go through your post so that I can implement the strategy if I am not backing my data at all :slight_smile:

I actually cannot say for sure whether you are only syncing or backing up. DTTG databases can be included in an iCloud backup if you have set the appropriate setting in DTTG and actually use iCloud backup, which is set up in iOS. Note, however, that even then I would not consider this a suitable backup: you could only restore to an iOS device, only the whole device and not just DTTG data, and could never use the backup to access individual files.

You need a backup strategy. Take time, some money, and plan for realistic and worst case scenarios. My strategy is suitable for me, I think. It may or may not be useful for you; also note that I am a regular user, not an IT or security expert.

1 Like

Pulling out my trumpet…

Note: Sync is ​not ​a backup, neither advertised nor advocated as such. We strongly advocate proper primary backups using TimeMachine (or similar snapshot-style backup applications) and external drives. Also, you should read the series of articles we posted: DEVONtechnologies | Search & Find

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Put that away!

3 Likes

Thank you a lot!

1 Like

Thanks BLUEFROG, will do that!

1 Like

I just wanted to write here that I have decide myself using Arq for backup, as this seems to be the most suitable way for me. Thank you your suggestions and linking this valuable discussion on the backup topic.

1 Like